Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Global Catalog function on an SBS 2003 server

Hi All,

A Global Catalog server is only useful if you have more than 1 domain.
    In a 2003 SBS configuration only 1 domain is allowed.

Why is the domain controller in an SBS 2003 environment set to Global Catalog ?
    Regards,
    SnijdeA.

Re: Global Catalog function on an SBS 2003 server

Originally posted by SnijdeA View Post
    A Global Catalog server is only useful if you have more than 1 domain
    Not strictly accurate. Exchange requires a GC regardless of your setup. http://www.computerperformance.co.uk...al_catalog.htm
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      Not strictly accurate. Exchange requires a GC regardless of your setup. http://www.computerperformance.co.uk...al_catalog.htm
      Ah, yes, forgot about that.
      Thnx.
      Regards,
      SnijdeA.

Comment

Even if you have more than one DC (yes, you are allowed more than one DC) in n SBS environment, it is a good idea to make them all GC's
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
          Even if you have more than one DC (yes, you are allowed more than one DC) in n SBS environment, it is a good idea to make them all GC's
          Is there i trick in adding DC's ?
          And why would it be a good idea ?
          Regards,
          SnijdeA.

Comment

What do you mean by "a trick"? You run dcpromo, answer a few questions...

It's a good idea for the same reasons that it's a good idea to run 2 DCs on non SBS networks - performance and resiliance.
            Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

What do you mean by "a trick"? You run dcpromo, answer a few questions...
              I thought it was not possible in an SBS environment, so I thought there was a trick.

It's a good idea for the same reasons that it's a good idea to run 2 DCs on non SBS networks - performance and resiliance.
              But what is the added value ?
              A GC holds a full copy of all objects from it's host domain and a partial copy of all objects from all other domains in the forrest.
              Well, there is no other domains and all DC's already have a full copy of all objects from it's host domain.
              Thus, I do not see the reason.
              Regards,
              SnijdeA.

Comment

Because Exchange will always query a GC first.

BTW in a flat/small LAN, it is questionable if a second DC brings any useful advantage. eg if the SBS is down, then you have no Exchange, probably no file server, you need timeout on DNS and no DHCP etc. The time spent reconfiguring your network to work with the second DC , is better spent getting your SBS repaired.
                TIA

sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

BTW in a flat/small LAN, it is questionable if a second DC brings any useful advantage. eg if the SBS is down, then you have no Exchange, probably no file server, you need timeout on DNS and no DHCP etc. The time spent reconfiguring your network to work with the second DC , is better spent getting your SBS repaired.

Would this not offer any advantages in disaster recovery -- since AD is working and all the user / security / exchange information would presumably be intact

Apropos of which, is there any strategy for recovering a failed SBS server given an additional DC is running?
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Because Exchange will always query a GC first.

BTW in a flat/small LAN, it is questionable if a second DC brings any useful advantage. eg if the SBS is down, then you have no Exchange
                    Exactly my point.
                    So an extra DC as GC is useless, in my opinion.
                    Regards,
                    SnijdeA.

Comment

Exactly my point.
                      So an extra DC as GC is useless, in my opinion.
                      Lets separate two things here: If you have a second DC, and there are many legitimate reasons for one, such as branch office, etc, then make it a GC.
                      I question the use of a second DC in a small LAN for DR purpoes as Ossian alludes to. Since AD is fairly stable and probably not subject to many changes, restore from System State is a viable proposition. OTOH, if you have a second DC, you could do the second half of SWING - seize FSMO roles, clean up the AD of the second DC including Exchange, install only the server part of the SBS using original name of server, transfer the FSMO roles back, complete SBS install and then restore Data from a backupp including Exchange databases.
                      TIA

sigpic

Comment

Lets separate two things here: If you have a second DC, and there are many legitimate reasons for one, such as branch office, etc, then make it a GC.
                        Again, then, I would like to know why.
                        What is the added value of making a DC a GC in a single domain forest ?
                        A GC contains a full copy of all objects in the host domain, but so does a DC in its own domain.
                        Regards,
                        SnijdeA.

Comment

What is the added value of making a DC a GC in a single domain forest?
                          Run dcpromo on a Global Catalog in a single-domain forest (for reference, the DC in question is Windows Server 2003 Standard SP2) as if to demote it to a member server and you'll see this warning:

Originally posted by Windows
                          This domain controller is a Global Catalog server. Global Catalogs are used to process user logons. You should make sure other Global Catalogs are accessible to users of this domain before removing Active Directory from this computer.
                          Seems Global Catalogs do a bit more than just holding another copy of everything
                          Gareth Howells

Comment

Run dcpromo on a Global Catalog in a single-domain forest (for reference, the DC in question is Windows Server 2003 Standard SP2) as if to demote it to a member server and you'll see this warning:

Seems Global Catalogs do a bit more than just holding another copy of everything
                            So in your words, a normal DC does not handle logons ?
                            That can't be true, that is 1 of the tasks of a DC.
                            A logon only needs a GC if you log on to another domain than the domain where the computer is in, and we are discussing SBS here.
                            So, still don't see the added value of a GC on a second DC.
                            Regards,
                            SnijdeA.

Comment

Again, then, I would like to know why.
                              What is the added value of making a DC a GC in a single domain forest ?
                              A GC contains a full copy of all objects in the host domain, but so does a DC in its own domain.
                              Again, EXCHANGE first queries a GC - not a DC.
                              TIA

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X