SBS wasting memory

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS wasting memory

I just install a sbs2008 in a new box (4GB, opteron quadrcore, 2*250 raid 1.

The memory is at 85%!

Store: 500MB
    sqlserver: 409MB
    w3wp: 310
    edgetransport: 150
    datacollectorsvc: 95
    dns: 82

its normal?

Re: SBS wasting memory

I forgot to mention:

is there 2 clients only and 3 computers more (not in the domain) in the network.

no 3rd app installed

Comment

Sounds about right... the recommended memory for SBS 2008 is 4GB minimum - in a production server you would want to be using at least 8GB. Memory, even high quality ECC memory, is dirt cheap these days.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Exchange and SQL are designed to grab as much memory as possible and release when required so you will generally see them using a substantial amount in general use anyway. I would agree with gf here and get some more RAM though.
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

my dears the minimum is 2GB, we are talking about a small network of 4 users!

The exchange have only 3.5 GB of data. doesnt make sense that is using 500 to manage 3.5!

The same is the sql, is being used for the sharepoint portal that is empty and for sbs monitoring!

I disagree from you, only if you have already installed the sbs2008 in few nets and have the same amount of data in these applications

Comment

Yes it make sense, It's designed that way.
            It is something where a lot of admins worried about but it won't give any issues.
            Exchange and SQL takes all the memory which is available.
            When an other app need memory either SQL, Exchange or both will release some memory to support the other app.

Also the minimum requirements is 4GB of memory.
            http://www.microsoft.com/sbs/en/us/s...uirements.aspx
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

and regarding the IIS, only the 5 w3wp's is 600MB?

So even with 30GB DB the exchange will works fine with 4GB Ram and 6 users?

Now I understand the oracle advertising "half of the disk space, half of the electricity, half of the cost and it runs faster" with 20 times more RAM...

Comment

Well Nitroglycerine,
                I think you need to dig deeper into the products before shouting at them.
                Think first, read first, learn first, and then react.

First of all, do you have an issue or are you creating an issue? I'm sure you are creating one because if you have a performance issue then you don't have enough memory.
                However It's quite interesting you could install SBS 2008 with less memory.
                IIRC our own Tiger couldn't install it without 4 GB of memory.

Second, can I see what you have installed? Have you installed WSUS, OWA, OMA, Sharepoint whatever?
                Third did you have used google for any of your questions? I want to bet you didn't.
                Fourth, I really don't care how much users you have. It's less important at the moment.
                Marcel
                Technical Consultant
                Netherlands
                http://www.phetios.com
                http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

When I installed SBS 2008, clean without any additional apps running apart from the what was installed with the initial setup, after logging on for the first time it was using 3GB RAM (obviously I had 4GB TOTAL available). Once you start adding roles (setting up Exchange with uses, SharePoint, WSUS etc then the RAM usage will increase.

In a production environment, it is often a good idea to look at the minimum MS recommendations and then double the specs. Personally I would not install SBS2008 with anything less than 8GB RAM (and a Quad Core Xeon with 2 x 500GB HDD in a RAID 1 as a minimum). I say this with minimal playing with SBS 2008 but 4GB is not enough.

With experience using Windows Server 2003 running 512MB RAM, would you install Windows Server 2008 with the same amount of RAM? Nitro, this is not a witch hunt or a flame aimed at you. We are just trying to get you to think about what you said and how to look at setups for the future.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hello Dumber, thank you for your push

First I really have an issue, yesterday I connect thru RDP to the machine to make few small customizations, and I was unable to continue for perfomance reasons, then I see the rdpclip using 250MB, I close it and everything start working fine.

Yes I install the all these features.

I never told I install SBS2008 in less then 4GB, but googling "sbs 2008 minimum requirements" the second and third results bring the minimum requirement between 2 and 4GB. (so you are wrong regarding the third point)

The fourth point was non expected from a moderator. Even because more users you have the exchange is more overloaded.

NiTo

Comment

This thread IS being watched by the forum mods and admins and action will be taken if a flame war breaks out. IMHO the last sentence of Post #10 is uncalled for

NiTo
                      From http://www.microsoft.com/sbs/en/us/s...uirements.aspx (already posted above) which bit of
                      Memory:
                      Minimum: 4 GB RAM
                      Maximum: 32 GB
                      is unclear. This is (and always has been) Microsoft's official specs, whatever other sites say
                      Tom Jones
                      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by nitoglycerine View Post
                        googling "sbs 2008 minimum requirements" the second and third results bring the minimum requirement between 2 and 4GB. (so you are wrong regarding the third point)
                        According to which websites? When I search for that string, neither the second or third results point to Microsoft. Microsoft made the software, they are therefore in the best position to tell you what the minimum requirement is - they say 4GB.

If on the other hand you're talking about the additional server you're allowed to run with Premium edition - that is ont SBS. That is Windows Server 2008 Standard. This has different requirements as out of the box, it is not running Exchange or SQL Server.

Edit: Didn't see Ossian's post above.
                        Last edited by gforceindustries; 24th December 2008, 17:34.
                        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Ok, I dont check the Microsoft site (the first site in the results) because I know never is enough the min. req. they publish, like bigles77 said. so i go directly to the 2nd and 3rd site. when I saw 2 and 4 I order 4gb for this small office.

any help regarding the IIS and the rdpclip?

Comment

Originally posted by nitoglycerine View Post
                            because I know never is enough the min. req. they publish
                            Again, it is the *minimum* required - the absolute minimum you can get away with to expect the performance of the system to be usable, or in the case of SBS, to allow you to carry out the installation.
                            Gareth Howells

Comment

I want everyone to take a deep breath and remember that English is not the primary language for some contributors. Minor errors in grammatical construction can lead to misunderstandings.

eg: Fourth, I really don't care how much users you have. It's less important at the moment.
                              Translated = It really doesn't matter how many users you have because it is doesn't matter at this point in time. (well that's how I read it)

SBS 2008 Specs. - http://www.microsoft.com/sbs/en/us/s...uirements.aspx

Nowhere does it mention 2GB. However, Windows Server 2008 does mention 2GB as recommended.

As for a fix to your problem, add more RAM.
                              1 1 was a racehorse.
                              2 2 was 1 2.
                              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                              X