Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transfer sbs 2000 to sbs 2003 on different server

Hi,

I've sbs 2000 on my network with running exchange.
    I'm going to insert new server that in the end will have sbs 2003.
    my question is how i can remove all the users from the AD and the Exchange into the new sbs 2003 server.
    I've thought can you tell me if it can be done - install the windows server 2003 from the sbs 2003 insert this windows server 2003 into the sbs 2000 domain.
    install the exchange 2003 on the new server transfer the DB into the new server and then make it a DC and a GC on the sbs 2000 domain(transfer all rules to the new server).
    finally remove the sbs 2000 from the network,and complete the sbs 2003 installation (ISA etc)
    can i do that ?

THX

Re: transfer sbs 2000 to sbs 2003 on different server

In a word, no. You can't make SBS a member server of a domain - it must be a domain controller, and it must hold all FSMO roles. Have a look at Swing Migration - http://www.sbsmigration.com/
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

the swing migration doesn't talk about the Exchange in the SBS 2000 server.
      how do i transfer all the DB's into the new sbs 2003 server?(export to PST and then import)

Comment

On a non-SBS network you move the mailboxes using AD Users & Computers (Right click the user > Exchange Tasks > Move Mailbox). That's when both Exchange Servers are looking at the same AD though.
        Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Originally posted by avipenina View Post
          the swing migration doesn't talk about the Exchange in the SBS 2000 server.
          how do i transfer all the DB's into the new sbs 2003 server?(export to PST and then import)
          It most certainly does in the full documenation - you "forklift" your databases.
          "Swing" basically moves your AD to a temporary server, cleans out Exchange from the temp server and then allows you to partially install a win 2003 server from the SB media with the same name and AD as our original server. Since this creates a Win2003 server that isa DC. This is then a supported scenario for full installation of SBS 2003. The final stage is "forklifting:" the Exchange databases.
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
          X