Installing SBS on a VMWARE SERVER 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing SBS on a VMWARE SERVER 2

Has anyone found any problems with this.

and

can one install just server 2008 to the physical server from the SBS disk somehow as it has a licence for a virtual and live setup - but we would prefer to have the physical box just server 2008 and not SBS.

Thanks for any help.

Re: Installing SBS on a VMWARE SERVER 2

I presume the physical PC will NOT be a member of the SBS domain as it must boot before the SBS DC boots and therefore will not be able to authenticate

I don't know about the licensing aspects, though.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thats correct - we wish to find out if we can just install 2008 server from the SBS disks for the physical server and not the full SBS. Has anyone experience of this please.

Thanks

Comment

Without any experience of 2008....
        Server 2003 SBS will not work as "just" the server component. You need to install the SBS components on top of that otherwise, IIRC, it goes into "sulk" mode and shuts down hourly

2008 SBS may be different.....
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          Without any experience of 2008....
          Server 2003 SBS will not work as "just" the server component. You need to install the SBS components on top of that otherwise, IIRC, it goes into "sulk" mode and shuts down hourly

2008 SBS may be different.....
          ...but I doubt it. The whole idea of SBS is to be a domain server, Exchange Server, IIS server, database server etc for a small organisation. The license agreement is very very clear.

If you want a basic member or stand-alone server, buy Windows Server 2003/2008.

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

I'm sorry to disagree, Stonelaughter.

But SBS 2008 Premium actually allow you to install a second 2008 Standard server.

Windows Small Business Server 2008 Premium Edition becomes a second server solution. Windows Small Business Server 2008 Standard Edition will run on one hardware server, and Windows Small Business Server 2008 Premium Edition will run on two hardware servers, with the second server running Windows Server and SQL Server for line-of-business applications.
            Source: http://www.microsoft.com/sbs/en/us/e...-overview.aspx

EDIT: I think you need to put the SBS on the physical box, as Ossian wrote.
            Best regards,
            Carsten.

Comment

Just for your information the 2008 SBS standard disks come with 2 license numbers one for a virtual server and one for the physical. It seems a little silly to have to install SBS at the physical level - but looks like that may be the case - and then remove active directory.

Comment

Well, I see SBS 2008 Premium comes with an additional license for Server 2008 Standard, so I suppose you could try installing this as the physical server

But if you are using the VMWare ESX product, do you need a host OS (I do not know VMWare well enough to say, but I have a memory that it runs under its own unix-like OS?)
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

You are on the right lines here - although we have SBS standard - I suppose I could try installing the licence in a just a server 2008 standard but no 2008 disks came with the package only SBS which seems can only be installed as a complete package. Is there likely to be a download somewhere for just server 2008 the this licence may work with.

Any thoughts?

Comment

Have I misunderstood the question? I thought the OP was asking about installing an SBS licence without using the SBS components (i.e. AD, Exchange, IIS, SQL Server) - in other words he wanted to use it as NOT a Domain Controller.

All that the quotes above suggest, is that you can run SBS on two separate boxes; one for the Domain server and one for the rest; I suspect that both boxes will have to be present for the second box to work!!

I still think that if you want to run a server which is not a domain controller, you need Windows Server, not Small Business Server.

Tom
                    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

Originally posted by tongers View Post
                      no 2008 disks came with the package only SBS which seems can only be installed as a complete package. Is there likely to be a download somewhere for just server 2008 the this licence may work with.
                      You are probably expected to contact Microsoft (if retail) or your OEM supplier (if OEM) for the install media. Or Microsoft could follow the same logic that they follow for downgrades of volume licenced products - that you are responsible for obtaining your own, legally acquired, media.
                      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

This looks like the key to it - I found on the microsoft web site http://www.microsoft.com/sbs/en/us/licensing-faq.aspx and extract below

It does look therefor you have to run on the physical server the SBS version - so will have to just renove AD - does seem a shame you just can't install the Server 2008 OS though to run on the physical.

Q. Does SBS 2008 licensing allow for virtualization? For example, Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition includes Hyper-V with a license to run one server operating system in Hyper-V?

A. For SBS 2008 Standard Edition, you may run one instance of the server software on a physical or virtual machine, but not both.
                        For SBS 2008 Premium Edition, you can choose to run the “premium server” software on a second server:
                        You can run an instance of Windows Server 2008 Standard technologies on a physical or virtual machine (VM), and if you run on VM, you are allowed to run an additional instance on a physical machine in order to run hardware virtualization software; provide hardware virtualization services; or run software to manage and service operating system environments on the licensed server.
                        You can run any number of instances of SQL Server 2008 Standard Edition for Small Business in one physical or virtual machine, and it must be joined to the SBS domain.

Comment

I don't think SBS will allow you to remove AD
                          Tom Jones
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

Comment

Have I been talking Chinese, or maybe Swedish here?

I said that in BOTH my posts - SBS is an AD server - if you remove AD from the licensed SBS server it will reboot every hour and it won't work properly!! Once you have an SBS server as an AD controller, you can run an ADDITIONAL SBS under 2008, which is running your SQL, IIS, Exchange etc.

HOWEVER - YOUR LICENSED SBS SERVER MUST BE A DOMAIN CONTROLLER AND HOLD ALL FSMO ROLES. YOU CANNOT REMOVE AD FROM AN SBS DOMAIN.

And I'll say it again; if you want a basic server and no AD, buy Windows Server.

Tom

Comment

The problem is that when you purchase SBS 2008, you are given a licence to run Server 2008 in a virtual environment. I don't think anyone is disputing that SBS is the top dog an requires all the Roles to be run on it.

It is where to obtain the Server 2008 that is to be run in the Virtual that seems to be the question. I need to read more of the documentation but maybe this licence is used for the Exchange Server that is run in Virtual mode.
                              1 1 was a racehorse.
                              2 2 was 1 2.
                              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                              X