Folder does not have a "Security" tab

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folder does not have a "Security" tab

Scenario In a shared folder on an SBS2003SP2 server, all the sub folders inherit permissions from the parent folder, with Domain Users having read/write/modify/list/execute ntfs permissions. Standard stuff, works fine.

Problem Users create and delete subfolders happily. However, on one folder that a user created, he tries to delete it and cannot, because he gets the error message "Cannot read from disk". As Administrator, I right click the folder and notice the Security tab is missing. If I run cacls on the folder it says it cannot find the folder. However I can CD to the folder and do a directory listing. User scan open the folder in Explorer and delete files within it.

Steps taken to fix I used the Tools tab on the drive to run a disk check, ticking both options ot fix things, and rebooted at which point the diskcheck did its stuff but as I was remote I could not see anything. That did not fix the problem. So then I downloaded "Unlocker" and installed that, which gives me a right-click option on the folder and th edialog box then allows me to select "Delete" which I did and it worked, so the folder has now been deleted.

Question Has anyone seen this before? Does anyone know why it happened? This is the third time this problem has happened on this particular server and my client wants to take steps to prevent it happening again. Even thoguh it is easy to right click the folder and use "Unlocker" to delete the folder, he has to sit at the server to do that and he thinks his users should be able to delete the folder themselves, quite rightly. Also why would the Security tab go missing?

Thanks for any help you can give on this one
    Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Re: Folder does not have a "Security" tab

For security tab missing i've seen this before where 'use simple file sharing' is enabled on the client, this can be disabled in tools>folder options.
    Also check that the 'server' service is running and set to automatic.
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

This guy has been through a problem similar to yours - http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/...r-problem.aspx
      ..and he ended up reformating in the end.
      I am sure that's something you don't want to consider just yet but have a look at some steps he followed and see if it's relevant.
      Also, is there any considerable fragmentation on the Drive?
      and is happening to random users?
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Hi uk_network, thanks for that; everything I'm talking about is also happening on the server itself, as well as on all client PCs, but I will certainly look at Simple File Sharing and see if that's set appropriately.

Hi L4Andy, Interesting link there to egghead cafe, thank you, so I will look into all that lot after the server has been restarted (a restart is waiting due to Windows updates). Anyway, my difficulty is that now I have deleted the folder using Unlocker, so I cannot verify if any step I take actually fixes the problem, so I will have to wait until it happens again, as I no longer have the troublesome folder to experiment on!

It happens on one folder to all users, and then someone creates several more folders over time, and they are all OK, then maybe sometime a troublesome one gets created and nobody can delete it (even admin).

I'll check defrag too. Cheers.
        Best wishes,
        PaulH.
        MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Working...
        X