Removing SBS server from a domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing SBS server from a domain

I did some searching and I seem to get conflicting answers.

The questions is: If I install a new DC, transfer FSMO roles, and then demote SBS server and remove it from the network, will the SBS restrictions still be there?

Some say the restrictions will be gone others say I would need to use the transition pack to remove them.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Re: Removing SBS server from a domain

Which/what SBS restrictions are you refering to?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Well the one I'm most concerned with is the 75 user limit.
      Regards,
      Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Can't be done: http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/M..._23159709.html

FSMOs must stay one the SBS box. If not, IIRC, it will go into "reboot every hour and sulk (TM)" mode

To overcome the limit, buy the SBS Transition Pack http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...e/options.mspx

And if someone comes up and says, sure, it can be done, all I can say is:
        "Beware of the EULA"
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I'm pretty sure it can be done. http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/...ard-Part1.html

I know that the SBS server must hold the FSMO roles but they can be moved and things will work for a short time. But if you remove the SBS server altogether do the restrictions get removed as well? If the restrictions are in the AD schema then I would imagine that even if one removed the SBS server from the network they would remain.
          Regards,
          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

If this is a live network, I think you will be on very dodgy ground licensing-wise
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Right, no worries about the licensing. The client is going to get about 100 Server 2008 CALs and Exchange 2007 CALs. (he's also looking into whether using the transition pack will be more cost effective but the ending goal is Server 2008/Exchange 2007)

I'm not going to be doing this in a live environment yet but I can't test the 75 user limit.
              Regards,
              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

If it is no longer an SBS box then the 75 user limit should not apply and you will be installing the 100 user CALS on the new server.

Swing Migration may be worth a serious look.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I've actually emailed Jeff at SBSmigration so I might be going that route.

Cool, well unless Steven has anything to add I think my question has been answered.

Thanks guys.
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hey Jeremy,

We're in the same boat. We have a new DC, new Exchange server, etc. I've transferred the roles and simply want to shut off the SBS server. Have you found your answer to your licensing question? Any other tips?

Thanks,

Tom

Comment

Yes, I've talked to a couple SBS MVPs (one of them being Steven Teiger) and they both confirmed that the SBS server is where the restrictions are enforced so removing that server will remove the restrictions.

If you are not familiar with all the steps involved then I suggest going with a Swing Kit if your scenario is supported.

My particular scenarios were (and maybe still are) in beta and were only available to previous customers so I didn't use the kits. If I have time, I'll sanitize my notes and post them (but don't wait for them as I have very little time to spare these days).

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll see if I can answer them.
                      Regards,
                      Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                      X