SBS 2000 VPN Problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2000 VPN Problems

I have an old SBS 2000 server that I recently decided to set up as a vpn server. I opened up the L2TP and PPTP ports in my firewall (SonicWall) and set everything up on the server. The problem I have now is that users cannot log in. When I try to connect to the VPN, my screen says "Verifying username and password," for a while, then times out. I have the permissions set up for three administrators to be allowed to log in to the VPN but with all three, I get the same problem. The server just does not accept the credentials.

What could be the cause of this problem?

Re: SBS 2000 VPN Problems

Does the router also forward IP protocol 47 (not port 47, but protocol 47) GRE? Check out this document, page 3 and the answer to the first question on the page. It could also be a mismatch of authentication protocols. What auth protocol are the clients using and is there a connection rule on the VPN server that allows it? For instance are the clients using MS-CHAP v2 but the server only allows MS-CHAP v1? Check out any other connection rules on the VPN server. It gets really ugly with all of the different layers of profiles, filters and all the various "enable" and "disable" buttons hidden here and there.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Re: SBS 2000 VPN Problems

Did you UTFW?
      Even in SBS 2000 there is a wizard on the ToDo List which will set up the server correctly as a VPN server - Nut I would also check out the protocol and the authorisation that the previous poster suggested.
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
      X