No announcement yet.

User rigths on connected computers ?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• User rigths on connected computers ?

i've got a SBS2003 running with XP clients. I noticed the users have limited rigths once logged in. For instance they are not able to install local printers or install additional software.

I've been looking in the group policies but i cannot find any setting to influence this.

How can i give users more rigths to install local printers and addtional software ??

Thanks in advance

Re: User rigths on connected computers ?

You could make them domain admins or domain power users, but I (and probably several others) would strongly recommend against that. Instead you could make them local power users or administrators on the machines. Use Restricted Groups in Group Policy to do this.

Keep in mind though that there's a reason why the default is for users not to be allowed to do these things. Before granting your users any additional priviliges, ensure that they are trained in what is and is not acceptable, that this is backed up by company policy, and that your users can be trusted with these priviliges.

Take software installation for instance. Why would you want your users to be able to install software? Do you not have IT staff on site? Compliance could become a major problem if users are allowed to install software themselves.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.