Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The real amount of CPU for SBS2008

To add to Biggles77's post...

I'm spec'ing out a new SBS 2008 server (yes, it'll have 8GB of RAM) and am wondering what folks' thoughts and experiences are concerning what would be a good CPU to put in a SBS 08 box. For instance, I'm considering the following two processors which are roughly the same price:

Dual-Core AMD Opteron Model 1222 (3.0GHz)
    Quad-Core AMD Opteron Model 1352 (2.1GHz 800FSB 2MB)

...and am curious to know if two 3GHz processors are better than four 2.1 GHz processors.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Re: The real amount of CPU for SBS2008

Personally, I would think the quad would work out best. It may be slower but you gain the benefits of multiple threads.

EDIT - multiple meaning 4 not 2... I do realise 2 is more than 1 (honest)
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

I would also probably opt for the quad core, although mine's a Xeon thanks

How much cache does the dual core chip have?
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
        To add to Biggles77's post...

I'm spec'ing out a new SBS 2008 server (yes, it'll have 8GB of RAM) and am wondering what folks' thoughts and experiences are concerning what would be a good CPU to put in a SBS 08 box. For instance, I'm considering the following two processors which are roughly the same price:

Dual-Core AMD Opteron Model 1222 (3.0GHz)
        Quad-Core AMD Opteron Model 1352 (2.1GHz 800FSB 2MB)

...and am curious to know if two 3GHz processors are better than four 2.1 GHz processors.
        What sort of load are you expecting to run? Personally I would prefer and Intel Quad, but hey that's me, quality first. With a Quad and using VMWare you can assign 2 x 2.1GHz cores to a single VM. and still have 2 cores free. Kinda hard to do that with a faster Dual Core. I believe the Quad (AMD or Intel) gives you better options than a Dual Core but again it will depend on what sort of load you are expecting.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          What sort of load are you expecting to run? Personally I would prefer and Intel Quad, but hey that's me, quality first. With a Quad and using VMWare you can assign 2 x 2.1GHz cores to a single VM. and still have 2 cores free. Kinda hard to do that with a faster Dual Core. I believe the Quad (AMD or Intel) gives you better options than a Dual Core but again it will depend on what sort of load you are expecting.
          It's for a small office with about a dozen users and two dozen mailboxes with an estimated load of six or seven hundred emails a day (for which I'm also pricing out GFi MailDefense Suite). Remote web workspace will be utilized and hopefully we can learn about and utilize sharepoint. Of course I'll be using other common SBS fare such as WSUS and applying GPO's to my heart's content. Virtualization will not be used. I was leaning towards the quad core as well but I wasn't sure how well SBS 2008 treated multi-core systems. Many times I've caught one core being neglected on my Vista machine. ("That's your brother man! You're too good to help him?!") With only 800MHz FSB with 2MB of cache in the 1352 I was a bit leery. The 1352 chip's memory is split up thusly:

From this link:

Like all another [sic] CPUs based on the K10 microarchtecture, the Opterons have separate 128 Kb take 1 cache and exclusive 512 KB take 2 cache per core. The CPUs also include large 2 MB take 3 cache mutual between all four cores.
          Half meg L2 cache per core, plus 2MB of L3 shared cache. I guess for this small system it's like trimming bigfoot's eyebrows. There's so much more to worry about.
          Last edited by Nonapeptide; 18th November 2008, 17:25.
          Wesley David
          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
          Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
          Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

I've asked this question at another forum and received an answer from a SBS MVP. Apparently, this MVP's experience is that most of the time SBS is doing nothing with the CPU so it's relatively inconsequential. I'd be much better off focusing my money on a good disk subsystem and RAM. That makes sense. Did I mention that this place only had enough money for two 7200 RPM HP MDL SATA HDs? (Five acronyms in a row... beat that!) Maybe I can talk the HP sales rep into putting two extra hard drives in for me...

Of course, I'd still like to know how good SBS is at multi-threading and spreading the load across multiple cores.
            Wesley David
            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Usually, I would go for more cores over higher speed as there should be less swapping of processes on the same core, but this is dependant on the operating system and software being truly multi-core aware. VMWare ESX is great for this as you can configure whole virtual machines to different cores, network cards etc. I havn't had the pleasure of SBS 2k8 yet though.

Comment

Working...
              X