Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demote and completely reload

Any help is appreciated.
    Our school bought a server that was to be preloaded with Win 2003 Server. It came with 2003 SBS. Knowing my way around W2K Server, which is our Forest Root, I ran ADPREP and SCHEMAPREP and got this new server online as a DC.
    Problems ever since.
    It keeps shutting down saying there is another 2003 Server DC on our network, there isn't.
    I tried to demote it, but that failed.
    I want to completely blow it away and load the version of W2K that had been purchased for the older NT 4.0 server this one was bought to replace.
    Will following these steps allow me to manually demote this 2003 server?
    http://www.petri.com/delete_failed_dcs_from_ad.htm
    Will I damage my existing AD by removing this server? Is it trying to assume the Forest Root role from my W2k server?
    I need to get this up and running and transfer Financial and Antivirus applications to it ASAP before my NT 4.0 craps out on my.
    (Total 2 existing servers before addition of the 2003.)

Yea that article will guide you through removing all traces of that server in AD so you can reinstall with the same name.

I don't however know how your AD will react to not having a 2003 DC, since you run ADPREP, schema changes have been implemented so you can run Win2k DC's in what is essential a 2003 Forest.

P.S. I think your problem came from trying to install a DC on 2003 SBS into an existing Domain, I don't think this is possible with SBS, SBS was built for single server (or single DC at least) configurations, (i.e for small business').

Topper.
    * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

Bad news???

Thanks, that sounds like bad news. (2003 schema) Is it reversable?
      I wish I could make this one work without the reload, but it just doesn't want to run in our environment. It keeps shutting itself down.

Comment

Schema changes aren't reversible, best you could do would be restore from backup pre SBS install, and just hope you havn't made many changes since.

Like I said though it may with no 2003 DC's, I havn;t come across a setup like it so I can't tell you for definate.

Topper
        * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

Thanks for the help

Thanks for the help.
          Gateway sent me basic 2003 and it loaded without a problem.
          The SBS server removed from network. All seems well.

Comment

Originally posted by topper
            P.S. I think your problem came from trying to install a DC on 2003 SBS into an existing Domain, I don't think this is possible with SBS, SBS was built for single server (or single DC at least) configurations, (i.e for small business').
            That's not completely correct. In fact, this scenario is what led me to this site and the forums in the first place.

SBS can coexist with other DCs but it needs to be the PDC. If you were bringing SBS into an existing domain, you'd have to right-click your domain in ADU&C, select the PDC tab and make the server running SBS the operations master. Stops the error messages and reboots.

So, you can have only one SBS server in a domain but SBS will get along just fine w/ other domain controllers.

Proven e-Commerce Solutions
            340 N. 12th St.
            Suite 200
            Philadelphia PA 19107

Comment

Working...
            X