Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• two sbs 2003 the same network subnet

Hi,

I would like to know if I can have 2 sbs 2003 severs on the same network subnet. They will be independent running their own AD, meaning they are not in the same domain or have any trusts. I'm getting mixed information that 2 SBS servers an not even be in the same network subnet. Is this true? I have a client that as an sbs 2003 now and all the computers are joined to it. While they want to introduce another sbs 2003 as an exchange server/fileserver separate from their current one , but will be on the same network subnet of 192.168.1.x

If a user needs to connect to that fileserver (new sbs) they will just map to the share.

This should be okay?

Re: two sbs 2003 the same network subnet

As far as I know, an SBS-box must also be DHCP-server, which is quite difficult in the same subnet.
    Clients are joined in "doamain-1", and their files is put on "domain-2", it will give you problems with logonscripts, userrights to the shares, etc. Not an optimal solution, in my opinion.

If you only need a fileserver, then go with Windows 2003 Standard edition, join it to the domain, create shares, and you're flying.
    Best regards,
    Carsten.

Comment

Thanks, i can probably disable the DCHP service, but I've read somewhere that if an SBS server sees another SBS server ... it will shutdown.

Comment

I know for sure, that a SBS-box running without the needed roles, will shutdown every 1 or 2 hour. This behavior starts a month or two after the installation, as far as i remember. I'm not sure it will do it, if it is a domaincontroller, just seeing the other box.
        What about share-permissions?

Why go for the SBS-solution? You're giving your self a headache with installing this, and get it running/working. As mentioned before, Windows Server 2003 Standard edition is "plug-n-play", in your network, I can't really imagine, why you're looking for a SBS-box?

EDIT: Also read this; http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=29009
        Best regards,
        Carsten.

Comment

Because the client already ordered the server as an sbs , i believe to save costs because they needed an exchange server.

Comment

Allready ordered, damn.

Just to understand what you will do. The new Exchange, is that for a frontend/backend-scenario, or what should it do?
            Best regards,
            Carsten.

Comment

It's going to be a for a separate company, maybe I can just a router to split up the network.

Thanks again for all the help. You guys are always so helpful and great!

Comment

You cannot connect two SBS servers to the same network, and you cannot disable what Microsoft consider to be crucial roles.

If it's going to be for a separate company, why would you want to put both servers on the same network anyway?

In this case, as the client has ordered the server without doing the required research then they are to blame... let's see how long it takes them to blame the techie though
                Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by diginet View Post
                  It's going to be a for a separate company, maybe I can just a router to split up the network.

Thanks again for all the help. You guys are always so helpful and great!
                  Yeah, seperate the networks with a router, or a VLAN capable switch.
                  Best regards,
                  Carsten.

Comment

So if I get them to get a windows 2003 standard. It should then be no problem putting in a new domain controller on the same network subnet where the current sbs server is at?

The windows 2003 standard would be configured as a separate domain but within the same network segment.

Thanks!

Comment

I don't believe you can do that, if one of the domains on that subnet is running on an SBS DC.

If they are for different companies, why would you want them on the same network?
                      Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                        I don't believe you can do that, if one of the domains on that subnet is running on an SBS DC.

If they are for different companies, why would you want them on the same network?
                        It's the same company but they started a new division and they want to be on a different server, totally independent and yet the same uers will be accessing both servers. I know , i know ... it's crazy.

I thought that you just can't have 2 sbs on the same network. So you can't even have a windows standard domain controller even when it's independent from SBS as long as they are on the same network subnet? I don't need to have the 2 servers even talk to each other.

Some tells me that you can have 2 sbs on the same wire but the problem is dhcp, so on one dhcp needs to be disabled and then manually assign ip. So as long as each sbs are independent (separate domain/ad) it's okay. I alos read that they can't be one the same network subnet.

I would imagine that introducing a windows stardard edition on an exisiting network subnet should be fine as long as they are on separate (domain/ad) , but i've never tried this before.
                        Last edited by diginet; 17th November 2008, 19:11.

Comment

To be honest I think the scenario you are trying to implement is pretty much beyond the scope of SBS, so would recommend migrating both servers to Server 03 anyway. Whether or not you can do what you want with 1 SBS and 1 Server 03, I don't know, but everything I've read suggests to me that SBS will complain.
                          Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by diginet View Post
                            It's the same company but they started a new division and they want to be on a different server, totally independent and yet the same uers will be accessing both servers. I know , i know ... it's crazy.

I thought that you just can't have 2 sbs on the same network. So you can't even have a windows standard domain controller even when it's independent from SBS as long as they are on the same network subnet? I don't need to have the 2 servers even talk to each other.
                            This one is difficult..

Do they need, ie. 2 exchange-servers? (you can add another (mail)domain to the existing SBS) If so, 2 SBS' in seperate VLAN's can do that. - Thinking about NAS, was the easiest for filesharing, between them?

What do the users exactly need access to? Filesharing, Sharepoint, Exchange (same or different maildomain), etc. etc.
                            Last edited by cs.dk; 17th November 2008, 23:51. Reason: Typos.
                            Best regards,
                            Carsten.

Comment

Yes they do need 2 exchange servers. They already said okay to the standard and exchange software. They were able to change it because the server was ordered by not yet shipped.

So now I'm thinking since it is no longer an sbs, it should be fine on the same wire as long as it's not an extra sbs. In this case a windows 2008 standard?

Comment

Working...
                              X