Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Additional CALs for SBS 2003

I need to add some CALs to SBS2003.
    The reseller saying that the only option for eopen licenses is 2008 CALs and downgrade them to 2003 for installation.
    Is it true that 2003 CALs not exist.? The product is not discontinued yet...
    "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Re: Additional CALs for SBS 2003

Hi Mla,

I've recently (1month ago) bought 2 packs (each 5 users) of additional SBS 2003 R2 Premium CAL's, so I don't think you should have a problem as well. As far as I know, SBS 2003 hasn't been discontinued.

But in general, it is possible to buy CALs for a greater version, for instance,Windows Server 2008, while your network runs Windows Server 2003 servers and then you downgrade your CALs.

But, are the SBS 2008 CALs already available?

I think you should re-check on your supplier or maybe call another supplier for confirmation...

Comment

YES I have a quotation from Insight Canada and they say there is no eopen lic for SBS 2003.
      2 weeks ago I bought 2008 TS licenses for my 2003 Terminal.

I asked because of a headache of downgrading with Microsoft.
      Called 3 times they transfered from one number to another and didn't know what to do.
      Last guy did this downgrade and I entered the key over the phone.

I guess could do it over the eOpen website.
      But before buying I was instructed to call MS for downgrade.

Even if I will buy 2008 CALs I will try to do it by myself before calling MS.
      "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Comment

Four of my suppliers in the UK are still able to supply CALs for SBS 2003. I don't know what MS' stance is with regards to SBS, but in general the only way to downgrade licences for a Microsoft product is if you buy licences through a volume licence (Software Assurance not required). This will only allow you to run previous versions of the same product - ie you can't buy Windows XP licences and downgrade to DOS because that is a different product, but you can downgrade to Windows 3.11 if you have a DOS licence to run it on.

I would recommend contacting Microsoft Licencing for clarification.

If you are allowed to buy SBS 2008 CALs and then downgrade them, then look on the brightside - you've saved yourself a bit of money in a few years time if you decide to upgrade to SBS 2008
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

You are right.
          Sorry, by MS I ment Microsoft
          Will never again put this abreviation.

Comment

I also meant Microsoft... what I meant is that I don't know if Microsoft treat Small Business Server differently to their other products. Can SBS be volume licenced (or at least, can the CALs)? If so, then I doubt you would be able to downgrade them without a volume licence. If on the other hand, they make a special case of SBS, like they did with allowing you to downgrade OEM copies of Vista to XP on new machines, then you will be able to do so.
            Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I can confirm that I purchased pack of 5 Cals for SBS 2008 and called Microsoft Activation Center for downgrade them to SBS 2003 (Licensing Dep. asked me to call Activation Center).
              Than they send me the key for adding my 5 CALs.

Comment

Thanks for posting back.
                Gareth Howells

Comment

ahh, thanks for the confirmation. Good to know. butteh, isn't it possible to lookup your CAL keys (SBS 2008 or even the downgraded SBS 2003 CAL) on the eOpen MS site? This website is much easier to reach than calling MS support by phone.

thanks

Comment

FYI, if Microsoft are supplying the product key for your downgraded product then they are making a special case for this product - usually if you downgrade (with your volume licence) it is up to you to obtain your own media and serial keys.
                    Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                    X