Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Event ID 2012/2013 SMTP could not connect to the DNS server

Hi,

I've started to get this message on my SBS 2003 server. The worrying thing is that the DNS server is the SBS server which is also running the SMTP service.

Any ideas?

I am presuimg that you have setup your DNS server with forwarder's to your ISP's DNS ?

What DNS server is the actual server looking at ? (internal NIC if you are multihomed).

Topper
    * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

Ok I have resolved (pun intended) this for now. I added my ISPs name server to the SMTP virtual server

In exchange system manager - administrative groups/first administrative group/servers/servername/protocols/SMTP/default virtual server - properties. Deliver tab, Advanced button, Configure external DNS servers.

Now I am left with wondering why this just happened - the server has been running without this problem for 8 months.

Comment

Re: Event ID 2012/2013 SMTP could not connect to the DNS server

Hello,

we've had this Event Id 2012 on a Exchange 2003, over Win 2003 Standard.

Error began after changing DNS service from one DC to another DC.
        The new DNS had no forwarders due to a mistake in configuration.

We've added DNS forwarders to our DNS and not an outsider's DNS to the SMTP.

This solves the issue as told by topper.

Thanks.

Ariel

PD: I prefer to leave our SMTP pointing to our DNS for name solving better performance by using DNS cache.

Comment

Re: Event ID 2012/2013 SMTP could not connect to the DNS server

I'm beginning to sound boring on this topic, but first of all re-run the wizard (CEICW) it will configure all your Internet and e-mail settings for you. Make sure (if you have 2 NICS) all of them point to the SBS server for DNS and ensure that the forwarders of your ISP are configured in the tab of your DNS server - but then again the wizard does that for you.
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
          X