No announcement yet.

Too many servers accessing NAS causes logon failure?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too many servers accessing NAS causes logon failure?

Hi all,

Bit of background:

At one site we have two servers - an SBS 2003 DC and a Server 2003 Standard x64 member server.

The member server backs up onto a 1GBit 2TB NAS.

The DC backed up onto a 100MBit 400GB NAS. That died last week, so we switched the DC over to the 2TB NAS until a new unit could be ordered. We modified the scheduled tasks on the DC to point to the new backup location. Not fast as you can imagine - a full backup of the member server that usually takes 6 hours took 3 days to complete over the weekend.

At the same time, we also changed the user account the backups run as on the DC. They used to run as Administrator, while on the member server they ran as a dedicated account called backupuser. Backupuser is a Domain Admin and a Backup Operator as well as a Domain User.

Anyway, our scheduled backups from the DC started failing - in Scheduled Tasks we'd see the status "Could not start", and in the system security log we would see:

Logon Failure: Reason: The user has not been granted the requested logon type at this machine User Name: backupuser Domain: TRB Logon Type: 4 Logon Process: Advapi Authentication Package: Negotiate Workstation Name: SBSSRV Caller User Name: SBSSRV$ Caller Domain: TRB Caller Logon ID: (0x0,0x3E7) Caller Process ID: 1120 Transited Services: - Source Network Address: - Source Port: -

During the day, if I tried to manually run a task, it would fail for the same reason. However, if I re-entered the password for the user account and then ran the task, it was fine. But I had to do this every day to get the backups to run.

Our new NAS arrived yesterday and was set up, and the DC's scheduled tasks were updated to point to the new NAS, still running as backupuser. Now everything works perfectly.

So, can anyone suggest what would cause this? :S
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.