Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2003 SBS and ARP Cache

Hello,

Currently found a strange issue, have a Windows 2003 SBS SP2 server setup using a Cisco PIX for a firewall. Clients running Windows Vista SP1 and intermittently client PC's are unable to communicate with server and vice versa.

Client PC's still able to ping firewall OK but not able to communication between server and clients. After sometime I found the only way to resolve this issue was to clear the ARP cache on the Windows SBS server. This would be OK but can happen a couple of times a day normally after a client PC has been shutdown. Clearing the ARP cache on the client PCs does not resolve the issue.

Any help on this issue would be grateful?

Re: Windows 2003 SBS and ARP Cache

Any errors in the event logs?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Are you using a hub or a switch to connect these machines? Have you looked at the ARP cache and Mac address table on the hub or switch?

Comment

No errors in event logs

I have replaced the switch on the network as thought possibly causing issue.

Comment

Is the PIX in between the server and the clients? If so what rules do you have setup?
          Also worth turning off the DNS fixup as it forces DNS to 512b
          Code:
          no fixup protocol dns
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

The pix is the default gateway on the network, all PC's and server on same subnet.

Comment

In that case it isn't that relevant to this (aside from the ping responses). Reading the original post it wasn't clear on your setup.

Have you got the latest NIC drivers installed?
              Which AV do you have on the server?
              cheers
              Andy

Comment

Server is a HP ML350 so I have already updated the firmware on the NIC then installed the latest drivers.

Sophos Anti-Virus is installed on server, what I have read so far is this problem other people have had but seems un-usual to have to keep deleting the ARP Cache to clear issue.

Comment

Is the server fully patched after SP2?
                  cheers
                  Andy

Comment

Very sorry for any delay in posting a reply.

Issue has now been resolved after changing the switch and also ran the internet/email wizard again as had been inform this can fix networking issues with SBS servers. Thanks for all post on this issue.

Comment

Thanks for posting back

Yes, re-running the UTFW can fix a lot of the problems you will encounter on an SBS system. It's also the best way to alter your configuration. SBS is not 'just Windows and Exchange' - there are a number of different tweaks under the hood which mean it often doesn't behave as you'd expect Server 03 Standard and Exchange 03 Standard to behave.

If the problem you face is that the wizards don't work on the other hand... well don't we all keep single malt scotch in the tape safe?

Not to self: install a tape safe.
                      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
                      X