X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Print jobs reprinting after sbs2003 reboot

Hi,
    We have a nerving issue:
    Every time we restart our sbs2003 server some documents that have been printed already in the past are getting back in the queue and get reprinted.
    Does anyone have an idea what cane couse this?
    Petardo

Re: Print jobs reprinting after sbs2003 reboot

Can you give us some more information please?
    Any entries on the event log from the spooler service? What ports are you using to connect to the printers? Is it only hapenning to one or more Print devices?

Ta
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Hi All,
      I have just found the solution
      May be useful for others as well:

For some reason (don't know why) the printer management permission was given for the administrators, but not for everyone.
      For "everyone" there was given just the printing permission.

So all documents which were sent to the printer by normal users and not admins stood in the queue uncleared.

All this documents used to get reprinted after a server reboot.

Comment

We have exactly the same permissions setup on our servers and we are not experiencing this issue, which suggests there is/was something else dodgy going on there.

I don't think it would be desirable to grant the Manage Printers privilege to non-administrative users. It certainly wouldn't be desirable to grant this to Everyone, which includes anonymous users.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by petardo View Post
          Hi All,
          I have just found the solution
          May be useful for others as well:

For some reason (don't know why) the printer management permission was given for the administrators, but not for everyone.
          For "everyone" there was given just the printing permission.

So all documents which were sent to the printer by normal users and not admins stood in the queue uncleared.

All this documents used to get reprinted after a server reboot.
          I am not sure your solution is the right one though! You don't need to give the everyone group "Manage Printer" permission. "Print" should be enough depending on the structure of your organisation. I'd also add in ACL "Creator owner" group and give them Manage Documents permission so that users can manage their own documents.

In the Advanced Tab of Printer properties, have you got "Keep printed documents" ticked by any chance?
          Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
            Everyone, which includes anonymous users.
            Just to clarify that this is only true in windows 2000 and also in 2003 if specifically configured in a Group policy if I am not mistaken.
            By default in 2003 "Anonymous users" group is not a member of "Everyone" but your point still stand even if that's the case.

Cheers
            Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
              We have exactly the same permissions setup on our servers and we are not experiencing this issue, which suggests there is/was something else dodgy going on there.

I don't think it would be desirable to grant the Manage Printers privilege to non-administrative users. It certainly wouldn't be desirable to grant this to Everyone, which includes anonymous users.
              Thanks for reply. I'll change everyone to authenticated users.
              May be it should be enough to grant just the print privilege to the users and may be this problem is also connected to the printer (canon mf6550), or the axis network adapter which connects it to the lan. Anyhow, I'm happy now

Comment

I'd recommend trying the changes L4ndy suggested, as they would be the most appropriate setup.
                Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
                  give them Manage Documents permission so that users can manage their own documents.
                  You are right, and I was thinking the same way. But - surprisingly - just giving manage documents right to a user did not solve the problem. I had to give manage printer privilege as well. May be it is a problem with the printer driver, or the axis network adapter.
                  Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
                  In the Advanced Tab of Printer properties, have you got "Keep printed documents" ticked by any chance?
                  Not ticked.

Comment

Working...
                  X