The real amount of RAM for SBS2008

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The real amount of RAM for SBS2008

Steven, I have read about the various requirements from various individuals, but as someone I trust, what do you recommend as the proper amount of RAM for this new kid on the block? The MS recommended 4GB just doesn't seem to be enough (as per usual).

Thanks.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Re: The real amount of RAM for SBS2008

The MS recommended about a 4GB of Ram, is in my opinion the minimum. Iíve it installed on a ESX 3.5 host with 8GB RAM, Iíve assign a 6 GB to the SBS environment. The server used the entire assigned Ram. And I'm not satisfied with the performance. With the migration Iíve also run the old SBS 2003 server on this host, but that are not an acceptable configuration.

Comment

8Gb seems a nice round number - good that RAM is cheap, you just need a newish computer to put it in!
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Thank you Steven. Have a nice Xeon Quad core that runs nice. Just need to add to the RAM a bit. 4GB just seemed a bit light.

One last question. If I lash 2 x 32bit server together, would that count as a 64bit machine?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Just did my first SBS2008 install. Took longer than I expected as the server I had earmarked for it do not have ANY 2008 drivers and it is only 13 months old. Not effing happy. Cleared out a more grunty version (same age) and all the drivers are builtin to SBS2008. Go figure.

Took 2 hours from start to finish and without updates or anything additional, 41GB HDD and 3GB RAM.

Time to go and read some docs and try it again. Initial thoughts, YUCK! Maybe because it is different but it doesn't seem to be as well laid out as SBS2003 and I gotta learn how to change the colours. Found the same with Server 2008 that the default colours seem to be too washed out and lacking contrast.

The 8GB RAM figure seems to be a fairly good number to aim for.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Performance not the best with 3GB then?
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

How did you get SBS 2008 to install on 3gb of RAM? I have tried a few times and it flats refuses unless it can see 4gb of RAM.

Simon.
              --
              Simon Butler
              Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
              More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
              Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
              In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Sorry Simon, I really must retake my English classes again.

Server has 4GB but after install finished, PF Usage doo dad said 3GB used. Was most annoying when I was trying to test it on VMWare on a server that only had 4GB RAM.

Is going to be interesting when I setup a couple of the ancillary apps tat come with SBS 2008 and then put a load on it. I fail to see, with my limited knowledge/exposure to SBS 2008, how MS could determine that 4GB RAM could be determined as anywhere sufficient for this, especially if you have 25 to 50 users running resource intensive applications on it.

Still not happy my 13 month old server doesn't have drivers for it.
                Last edited by biggles77; 30th November 2008, 06:15. Reason: Typo
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

If you're using anything other than just Exchange 2007 and IIS, make sure to go well past 4GB. A client of ours popped on ACT and it's now maxing out the 4GB.

Comment

Working...
                  X