No announcement yet.

Windows Server Update Services (WSUS): Event ID 364 - With Solution

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Server Update Services (WSUS): Event ID 364 - With Solution

Hi everyone,

I am posting to confirm if my troubleshooting was correct and see if anyone else have experienced a similar problem. I inherent an SBS 2003 and I kept on getting the following log in Event Viewer. After noticing the “WsusContent” folder was missing from D:\WSUS and patches were not downloadig, I started search and got all kinds of solutions from checking proxy setting, registry editing , NTFS permissions and event WSUS support tools.

I checked the install updates log for WSUS and noticed some machines were updating (last yesterday at synch time) so that make me think it was nothing with the proxy. I did not want to play with the reg so I check the NTFS settings and look into the WSUS support tools; move content tool to be exact. I tried pointing it to the same path d:\WSUS hoping it would just over write the setting but it gave me an error that I was point the same path.

I decided to think about the box and do things manually… create the WsusContent folder under d:\WSUS and assured permissions were right. As soon as I created the folder updates starting downloading! But I’m still wondering why what’s it created automatically?

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Windows Server Update Services
    Event Category: Synchronization
    Event ID: 364
    Date: 10/23/2008
    Time: 11:23:40 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: [SERVERNAME]
    Content file download failed. Reason: Error calling [kernel32.dll]:CreateDirectory(d:\WSUS\WsusContent\C1) Source File: Destination
    CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, MS Windows 2000, MS Windows XP

Pursuing: CompTIA Security+, Server 2003