Upgrade Windows 2003 Server Standard to SBS 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade Windows 2003 Server Standard to SBS 2003

Is it possible to upgrade Windows Server Standard 2003 to SBS 2003? I want to keep my domain in-tact along with all my user's permissions etc...

This is a small business and I think SBS will defiantly help them save more money with Exchange and other features.

If it is possible, is it as easy as popping in the disc?
    Be easy on me, I'm here to learn

Re: Upgrade Windows 2003 Server Standard to SBS 2003

I don't believe so, no. I wouldn't exactly consider it to be an upgrade as such - you get the same products you would get if you opted for the 'full blown' software, but with more restrictions. You are limited to 75 users, your mail store is limited to 16GB (maybe more as of SP2 or SBS 2003 R2), everything has to run on a single server - even ISA server, which means you must expose your DC to the web.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      I don't believe so, no. I wouldn't exactly consider it to be an upgrade as such - you get the same products you would get if you opted for the 'full blown' software, but with more restrictions. You are limited to 75 users, your mail store is limited to 16GB (maybe more as of SP2 or SBS 2003 R2), everything has to run on a single server - even ISA server, which means you must expose your DC to the web.
      I know it is not much of an "upgrade" per-say, but it consolidates everything. I only have 5 users, so I am not worried about the 75 user limit and with a reg edit I can get up to 75GB of mailbox storage w/ SP2. ISA is only installed on SBS Premium I believe.
      Be easy on me, I'm here to learn

Comment

Originally posted by brcmadmin View Post
        ISA is only installed on SBS Premium I believe.
        Correct. You didn't say in your original post which edition you would be opting for though. With or without ISA, you're still putting your DC on the network edge though.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

This will serve your needs for what you want to do. http://www.sbsmigration.com/

Of course with 5 users it may be just as easy to do a clean install of SBS. Also, you may wish to wait a month an opt instead for SBS 2008. SBS 2003 while a great product is now 5 years old and with SBS 2008 you get the added functionality in the new software.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
          X