No announcement yet.

Can't get DNS right on SBS2003

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get DNS right on SBS2003

Iíve a single server environment. SBS2003 with Exchange 2003 SP1. DNS is configured with Forwarding to my ISPís DNS servers. One of the Forward Lookup Zones entries are as below - there are 2 Zones set, one for each DNS ip for my ISP. 3 record(s)
    (same as patent folder) Start of Authority(SOA) [2],MyServerName.MyDomain.Local.,hostmaster.MyDomain. local.

(same as patent folder) Name Server (NS) MyServerName.MyDomain.Local.

(same as patent folder) Host (A)

Problem -
    With Workstations on the network set to "Obtain DNS server address automatically" they can connect to various sites only intermitently and many not at all. If I set the DNS server addresses "Use the followingDNS server addresses" on the Workstations as the same IP addresses as configured in the Forward Lookup Zones they connect reliably to any internet site.

As a kicker, the SBS server connects to all sites reliably when using IE directly on it!

Obviously I've a DNS configuration issue but am at a complete loss as to how to resolve it. Really would like to get the Workstations to get their DNS address automaticlly. With them manually configured the http://companyweb/ is unavailable & it appears to have features I'd like to use.

The DNS Events also spit these errors:

Event 4015
    The DNS server has encountered a critical error from the Active Directory. Check that the Active Directory is functioning properly. The extended error debug information (which may be empty) is "". The event data contains the error.

Event 4004
    The DNS server was unable to complete directory service enumeration of zone _msdcs.LSIAUS.local. This DNS server is configured to use information obtained from Active Directory for this zone and is unable to load the zone without it. Check that the Active Directory is functioning properly and repeat enumeration of the zone. The extended error debug information (which may be empty) is "". The event data contains the error.

I've Googled these but didn't get much there.

The _msdcs.LSIAUS.local Forward Lookup Zone is present with dc, Domains, gc & pdc folders under it. That indicates that AD & DNS are aware of each other right?

Any & all direction/suggestions appreciated. I'm a one man office here trying to have a web presence but I need to get this all fixed so I can spend some time selling something! Need to make a living not spend all my time fixing (probably self inflicted) problems.

Thanks Folks,

I'm presuming that when you set the clients to get the DNS server automatically they get it from your DHCP server (SBS server), and the IP address is correct.

i.e. Your clients get the SBS server's ip as the DNS server.

Have you run tests on the DNS server to check Simple and Recursive requests ? Did these pass ?

Are you forwarders definately setup correctly ? what DNS server does the server have setup on it (itself or the ISP) ?

* Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

BSODs every which way I turn. The love of 050! Rebuilt box from scratch and now DNS functions properly. Had a Rocket RAID card in it before and after basic rebuild any data restored from backups made while card was in the box resulted in BSOD. Can only assume that something funky happened between the card and the box that made DNS a problem. 1 Rocket RAID card for sale - cheap!