Network connection not functioning after restart

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network connection not functioning after restart

When I rebooted my server running SBS 2003 SP2 the server came back up just fine but clients could not access it. I could not ping its name or IP address from the clients. After logging into the console I could see that the local area connection was showing that it was connected. I tried to ping some local resources from the server but all responded with "destination unreachable". I check the IP settings on the NIC and all were ok. I finally decided to reboot the server. After it came backup, the same issue was occuring. I then decided to shutdown the server and then boot it back up. This resolved the issue. I checked through all the error loggs and didnt see any errors relating to this issue.
    Any idea as to what could be causing this?
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Hindsight is 20/20 foresight is what matters

Re: Network connection not functioning after restart

Any AV/Firewall software?
    NIC drivers up to date?
    Switch ports ok?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

AV Software is Symantec AntiVirus Corp Edition version 10.2
      No software firewall in use on the server.
      NIC drivers are OK and switch is fine. If it was the switch I wouldnt think a reboot of the server would fix the issue.

Comment

Have a look at IPSEC - see if you can browse the policies. (Even if you're not using it). If you can't browse the policies they are corrupt... there is a fix out there somewhere I'll see if I can find it.

[EDIT] I have it at work - sorry... I'll see if I can dig it out next week.

Also check the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing service in the Services MMC. If it's running, stop and disable it, reboot and see if network connectivity comes back.
        Last edited by Stonelaughter; 10th October 2008, 21:15.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

I finally got around to checking the ability to browse the IPSEC polices on the server having the issue and I can brows them just fine. Also the Windows Firewall / Internet connection sharing service has been disabled since day one.
          Anyone else have anything else to try?

Comment

What make/model of server, and more importantly what make/model NIC?
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Server make and model is a Dell PowerEdge 840.
              The NIC is a onboard Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit running driver version 10.62.1.2

Comment

Are you using ISA on your SBS server? We've seen a few weird issues lately with ISA and Broadcom NICs mostly related to all the offloading stuff they can do which ISA doesn't expect. Worst problem of all (from our point of view) is that the faults are occurring randomly at one of our customers and we're having a great time trying to get diagnostic data for Microsoft.
                BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                sigpic
                Cruachan's Blog

Comment

ISA is not being used on this server and it only has one NIC anyway and FYI a hardware device is used for routing / firewall functions.
                  The config on this server is pretty straight forward. Its basic functions are 1) PDC 2) File Server 3)Exchange and that's it.

Comment

Working...
                  X