SBS 2003 SP2 Very slow file shares

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2003 SP2 Very slow file shares

SBS 2003 w/sp2...employees complaining that the file shares are very slow. At times when Excel is used, system freezes. I tried tcp parameter changes to no avail. Some of the work stations have xp pro sp2 and some have sp3. I thought Symantec Endpoint was problem, so I shut down all network monitoring from the Endpoint side with the help of tech support from them. We have a 10/100 switch am going to get a gigabyte switch and hope. Thanks for any input.

Re: SBS 2003 SP2 Very slow file shares

Originally posted by corkster View Post
    SBS 2003 w/sp2...employees complaining that the file shares are very slow. At times when Excel is used, system freezes. I tried tcp parameter changes to no avail. Some of the work stations have xp pro sp2 and some have sp3. I thought Symantec Endpoint was problem, so I shut down all network monitoring from the Endpoint side with the help of tech support from them. We have a 10/100 switch am going to get a gigabyte switch and hope. Thanks for any input.
    Is this an actual SBS issue where your opening the files on the SBS server or is it a client issues where your opening the files on the client machine???

Is DNS working correctly??

Do you have a virus in your network???

How large are the Excel files and do they contain complicated calculations??

Comment

I'm going with DNS. Server should be using 127.0.01. All clients should use the server as their primary DNS server.
      Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Originally posted by ]SK[ View Post
        I'm going with DNS. Server should be using 127.0.01. All clients should use the server as their primary DNS server.
        Only if the server has the DNS role installed, otherwise it should be pointed at the IP of a DNS server

IIRC (with no link) there are some issues with Excel files over a network, but dont quote me on that....
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I would be suprised if the DNS role was installed on another server besides the SBS server.
          Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Thank you, the dns on all the workstations point to the ip of the server. Its a stand alone. All the folders that are shared and accessed are on the server. I just put a gigabyte switch (not managed) in place yesterday. All nics on workstation automatically bumped up to 1000mb. Nice. Am hoping that that improves the situation. Run Endpoint virus scans on a nightly basis. Small office only 7 seven workstations. Thanks again..

Comment

Any errors in the event logs?
              Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Duplex mismatch on switch maybe?
                Do you have the additional windows updates after SPs for SBS and the client machines.
                cheers
                Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Do you know what hard disks are in the server and how are they configured?

Sounds to me like a disk performance issue and it not being able to keep up with read/write access.

Comment

Probibaly things you have already tried, but what about task manager, how's the cpu, memory, network utilization? How are you for diskspace, have u done a defrag? ect ect

Is this happening to everyone?

One thing to check, if u open excel/word with a blank document and file>open browse to network location of the file you are trying to open and open it that way, does it make a difference?
                    and copy the files from the server to the desktop and open them that way, does the problem still exist?
                    Last edited by uk_network; 14th October 2008, 11:26.
                    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
                    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
                    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Working...
                    X