Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After restart SBS2003 Premiun stop with Black screen

Hello all,
    After restart, SBS2003 Premium stop with Black screen.

Sbs2003 fully updated, working smoothly for a year now.
    2 days ago after restart - nothing but black screen.
    not able to boot from cd while the hard disk are connected. (can boot from cd while disconnected)

using external disk with xp same server with the original hard disks as slaves\secondary - work with no problem.
    the only access to the Org' disks via xp is. to the second partition and not to the boot partition\drive.
    the hardware is Intel machine s3000h board with sata raid on board.
    when the disk are connected
    Any help will be appreciated
    Thanks!
    Dylan

Re: After restart SBS2003 Premiun stop with Black screen

Who makes the server? Have you tried their tech support as they "should" know the most about the servers setup.

If you can boot with the drives as secondary (as you put it) I would backup what you can just in case.
    If you can't access the first partition then it may be gone completely. Having said that there are partition recovery tools available. What does it look like in disk management? No partition or unformatted, corrupt etc?
    Do you have a current backup?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Sounds like your boot drive is stuffed. Time to put in that RAID set you've been thinking of and restore from your backups
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hi Andy, and thanks for your help.

The hardware is Intel with server board s3000h.
        Via Xp disk management, all drives looks fine. but via explore the amount of the drive point to 1G (actual is 60G). trying to access hangs.
        I've got a full backup on tape backed up by arcserve.
        I've tried some partition recovery tools. nothing helps.

Dylan

Comment

Get any data you can from the second partition on a USB disk (or similar) so you have a second copy just in case. It may be a second partition on the same disks

Looks like a restore from backup is required. If your server has sata raid onboard how many disks do you have in it?
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

2 disk 160GB Each.
            in case of restoring, any short procedure?
            Last edited by dylanjc; 8th October 2008, 09:24.

Comment

Just a thought, have you tried running chkdsk on the drive in question???? with the fix n recover options set?

Also, when it boots up do you get black screen flashing cursor in the top left??

What exactly happens when it boots up?

Edit: also check u have no floppy disks in the drive, or any external disks, flash drives, cd's, usb harddrives ect ect.
              Last edited by uk_network; 8th October 2008, 09:27.
              Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
              I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
              MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Yes, running chkdsk /r on the drive find it OK.

and yes, when it boots up i got only a flashing cursor in the top left the it gone to a blank\grey screen. the keyboard (num\caps lock, indicate the system running. nothing happaned even after few hours.
                no floppy\external etc are exist.
                I've run the raid utility all are Online even consistency check passed OK.

It's a very strange behevior.

Comment

Will it boot in safe mode?
                  I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,

Comment

no it doesn't boot from safe mode. nothing on the screen but cursor on the left for 15 sec.

Comment

Ok. Make sure you got all your stuff backed up,

One question, when u try boot in safe mode does it stall by loading a specific file??

MCITP -W7,

Comment

No, i can't boot from safe mode. there is only black screen on restart. not even the windows splash screen.

Do you knowe any short way to restore the system from tape?

Comment

Before you pull out your tapes there is something else to try.

You can boot to the recovery console and do the following commands.
                          chkdsk
                          fixboot
                          fixmbr

MCITP -W7,

Comment

The problem is that I can't boot from the original disks, therfore, i can't go to recovery mode, or any other mode.

Comment

Originally posted by dylanjc View Post
                              in case of restoring, any short procedure?
                              That depends entirely on the backup software you use. Have you not tested this to make sure that you know how to do it, and that your backups can actually be recovered from?

Originally posted by dylanjc View Post
                              The problem is that I can't boot from the original disks, therfore, i can't go to recovery mode, or any other mode.
                              Access the recovery console from the boot CD?
                              Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
                              X