No announcement yet.

Windows 2003 Small Business Server - SQLSERVR taking lots of system resource

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2003 Small Business Server - SQLSERVR taking lots of system resource

Why is SQLSERVR taking so much memory? I'm new to server administration and I am having a bit of issues trying to ping point the issue why SQLServer is taking so much system resource? The information below was obtained from the Server Performance Report which is e-mail to me daily.

Top 5 Processes Memory Usage
    Process Name - ID Memory Usage
    sqlservr - 672 MB
    w3wp - 132 MB
    w3wp - 117 MB
    sqlservr - 78 MB
    services - 73 MB

Top 5 Processes by CPU Usage
    Process Name - ID CPU Time
    sqlservr - 4.5 %
    svchost - 0.9 %
    beserver - 0.7 %
    System - 0.4 %
    sqlservr - 0.4 %
    CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, MS Windows 2000, MS Windows XP

Pursuing: CompTIA Security+, Server 2003

Re: Windows 2003 Small Business Server - SQLSERVR taking lots of system resource

That is normal for a SQL server due to its caching behaviour. Every time SQL Server needs to read a page from disk it caches the page in memory so that any disk underperformance won't affect its operations.

Ta
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Re: Windows 2003 Small Business Server - SQLSERVR taking lots of system resource

If it is SQL you can restrict the memory it uses I believe. MSDE is the same (i.e. LINK)
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
        If it is SQL you can restrict the memory it uses I believe. MSDE is the same (i.e. LINK)
        This SQL behaviour is by design and not a memory leak. I would not recommend restricting it as it might affect its performance.
        However as well as Andy's suggestion about restricting it, if you have to, you might want to have a look at this KB article and its sudlinks- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321363

Ta
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
          This SQL behaviour is by design and not a memory leak.
          I didn't mean to imply it was, if it came over that way.
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

You guys are the best! SQL is not affecting the systems peformance at all... i just tought it was not normal for the application to take so many resources.

Per the article description this is cause by SQL buffer pool and itself adjust to memory allocation changes so there is no need for me to make any changes to it...at least for now.
            CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, MS Windows 2000, MS Windows XP

Pursuing: CompTIA Security+, Server 2003

Comment

Working...
            X