X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• join sbs to existing domain tutorial plz

Hi,
    I have a copy of SBS 2003, and i want to use it in our domain... but everybody is telling me that it can't be done... is that ture, if not, what is the way and is there any documentation of how to do it?
    I don't think is it feasable for companies to start from scratch just to have SBS.
    Please help

SBS'03 doesn't play well with others. It wants to be the only DC and for this reason it is difficult to add it to an existing domain. What you can do is "upgrade" or "replace" the existing DC utilizing the available tools.

MS's view is that if you need more than one DC then you're not a small business and therefore can buy a full blown version of Windows 2003.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

As Andrew says, SBS doesn't mix with others, as far as I am aware you can only have 1 SBS server in the forest, and that's it, no other DC's or Domains allowed.

If you want to move to SBS then I used to do the following

Create your new Forest\Domain on your SBS server, then create Interforest trusts between the new and old, then use ADMT v2 to migrate all your users\computers\resources to the new Domain.

Both domains have to be in Native mode for this, and if you want to migrate passwords and SIDhistory then theres a bit of messing around but other than that it's pretty simple.

Topper
      * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

A few corrections if I may.

- SBS allows other DC's to be added to the domain. However, SBS cannot be added to an existing domain.

- SBS cannot have trusts. You can use ADMT, but you need to run it from the commandline. Not for the faint of heart!

Comment

Just FYI, You CAN create interforest trusts for SBS.

I don't think you could run ADMT between forests\domains WITHOUT one, that would be a huge security risk !!
          * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

Interforest trust? Really? Did MS forget to plug that hole? I'll try that some day.

RE security: you still need credentials, so what's the problem?

Comment

ADMT works because when running it from the command line you use the RUNAS command to authenticate to the other domain. Similarly, you must syncronize passwords between the two domain administrator users.

But here is the real answer to your question. If you get what you want to work it is not legal according to Microsoft's acceptible use policy. SBS must be the only DC and all products must be installed onto it. You can only add other separately licensed products to the domain.

A typical SBS network for a larger amount of users would look like this:

SBS 2003 server: AD, Exchange, ISA, SQL
              Windows 2003 Storage Server: File and Print
              Windows 2003 Terminal Server: Remote users and single application publishing

This can be a great setup, however, keep your SBS server healthy because rebuilding it can be a difficult. I never recommend installing any third party applications onto the SBS server to clients. Why? Because Microsoft's SBS service packs often contain more than fixes and this can break 3rd party software. It is best to move them to small individual servers or virtual machines.

Comment

All true, except...

> SBS must be the only DC

From the SBS faq:

Q. Can I effectively implement Windows Small Business Server 2003 in an environment that connects one site to another using a slow data link?

A. Yes. One way is to install Windows Server 2003 at the remote site, and then configure it as a replica domain controller. This enables Active Directory directory service information to replicate at the remote site, so that authentication requests do not have to travel over the slow data link. Also, using Outlook 2003 in Cached Exchange mode minimizes the amount of e-mail traffic between remote clients and the server.

Comment

Wawoo, you are talking over my head... i think i have to read more and get certified in this thing to know what i'm talking about....

maybe it is laziness, but i don't mean it... is there a toturial of how to do this.. becuase i'm realizing if i screw up something... i will end up in the dog house...

Thanks for all your replied guys...

Lebanese_007

Comment

Originally posted by lebanese_007
                    Wawoo, you are talking over my head... i think i have to read more and get certified in this thing to know what i'm talking about....

maybe it is laziness, but i don't mean it... is there a toturial of how to do this.. becuase i'm realizing if i screw up something... i will end up in the dog house...

Thanks for all your replied guys...

Lebanese_007
                    Don't give up so easy, SBS is designed so that you do not have to be a certified engineer to properly deploy it. That is why these restrictions are in place; to make the install easier. Just ask questions on forums like this one. You will get some good answers which combined with a test install/migration and you should be ready to do it yourself.

I do however truly believe that hiring a SBS certified consultant to help you plan will definitely be worth the cost.

Comment

Re: join sbs to existing domain tutorial plz

Guys, I know this is an old post, but for completeness I thought I'd add this in here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884453

is your tutorial!
                      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                      http://www.wintra.co.il/
                      sigpic
                      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                      X