DCpromo error, cannot add Win.2008 DC in a 2003SBS environment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DCpromo error, cannot add Win.2008 DC in a 2003SBS environment

I'm having a problem introducing a Windows 2008 DC to a Windows 2003 SBS-environment.

Having run adprep, and updated the domain / forest schemas on my Windows 2003 SBS server. I tried to run dcpromo /adv on my new machine running Windows 2008 first over VPN didn't work, moved it to my HQ trying to set it up there in preparation for moving it back - installed ofcourse.

The problem seems to be:

Even tried installing the DC according to Microsofts own guides, no go...
    How can that be?

//Thanks in Advance

CalleJ

Re: DCpromo error, cannot add Win.2008 DC in a 2003SBS environment

2008 is trying to use AES which isn't supported by 2003. Is the 2008 server joined to the domain as a member server before dcpromo?

Comment

I am not sure you can Upgrade an SBS 2003 AD to 2008 AD.
      don't you need a 2008 SBS for that?

Comment

MS documentation says to run gpprep as well? Have you done this?

Adprep/doaminprep/gpprep must be invoked physically on each server that holds the FSMO roles, hence why your original VPN failed.

If multiple servers hold the FSMO roles, each has to be prepped physically.
        If running multiple doamins/forests each has to be prepped.

All as per MS documentation.

Comment

We need Teiger on this one. I can never remember what's right and what's wrong about SBS... but I'm pretty sure you can't upgrade a SBS 2003 Domain to a Windows Server 2008 Domain by adding W2k8 DCs to it!!!

I'm also pretty sure that that is the kind of task that Swing Migration was created for... you need to MIGRATE to the new domain, NOT upgrade it.

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
            We need Teiger on this one. I can never remember what's right and what's wrong about SBS... but I'm pretty sure you can't upgrade a SBS 2003 Domain to a Windows Server 2008 Domain by adding W2k8 DCs to it!!!

I'm also pretty sure that that is the kind of task that Swing Migration was created for... you need to MIGRATE to the new domain, NOT upgrade it.
            Sorry If I wasn't clear!

I'm not upgrading the Domain, My SBS-server is supposed to be the PDC at the HQ and the 2008 running as a Secondary DC at the branch office...
            I may be stupid but I havenīt run /domainprep /gpprep though, Is that really necessary?

//Thanks in advance!
            Last edited by CalleJ; 1st October 2008, 22:49.

Comment

If thats the case why would adprep be successful?

Comment

Originally posted by CalleJ View Post
                Sorry If I wasn't clear!

I'm not upgrading the Domain, My SBS-server is supposed to be the PDC at the HQ and the 2008 running as a Secondary DC at the branch office...
                I may be stupid but I havenīt run /domainprep /gpprep though, Is that really necessary?

//Thanks in advance!

Yes you need both /forestprep and /domainprep

Comment

Originally posted by Garen View Post
                  Yes you need both /forestprep and /domainprep
                  Yes, have indeed run both /forestprep and /domainprep successfully on the SBS, however havent tried /domainprep /gpprep...

Comment

Originally posted by CalleJ View Post
                    Yes, have indeed run both /forestprep and /domainprep successfully on the SBS, however havent tried /domainprep /gpprep...
                    I doubht that would be your issue. All gpprep does it adjust the ACL on GPOs in the SYSVOL directory.

Comment

Originally posted by Akila
                      a regular 2008 is a windows 2008 you buy in stores or Volume license, you need SBS 2008.
                      Iīm not mistaken myself, you canīt have two SBS:s on the same domain?

According to M$ you should be able to add a Windows 2008 2nd DC in a 2003 SBS Domain. Or am I limited to only one DC what so ever...?

HQ (SBS, holding FSMO) <---> Branch office (200

Sorry If i'm beeing stupid...

Comment

This is going W A Y

I am moving this to the SBS Forum and will edit out any inappropriate posts hen time permits.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Sorry, but yes you can. Look here for all the info.
                          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                          http://www.wintra.co.il/
                          sigpic
                          I’m honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We don’t stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                          X