Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Configuring FTP

Dear All Technicians / Administrators / Guru's

I am really sorry that i may not be totally informative and my native language isn't english in which case you might find this bit less informative or feeling like not helping or what ever.

PLEASE HELP (SOS)

My Setup

A Normal PC installed with Windows SBS 2003 SP2

OS installed with AD and DNS and IIS for FTP

ISP - > BSNL (India) Router given SmartAX MT882 with Static IP

Aim to make my system ftp server so that i can access my system to upload / download remotely

Used 2 LAN cards RTL8139; 1 for LAN connected to switch and 1 for BSNL (ISP) connected from the Router to Cisco VOIP to my system.

Basically all bsnl routers connect through 192.168.1.1
    Attached pic
    Code:
    http://img443.imageshack.us/my.php?image=modemty2.jpg
    NAT is enabled but DHCP is disabled ( but my LAN CARD gets ip from bsnl through DHCP; if i configure it manually..i will not be able to access bsnl router)

Any more info is required please let me know.

Thanks for reading and waiting for the reply

with humble regards

Ram

Re: Configuring FTP

Lots of info here, but lots still required! One NIC or TWO? Standard or Premium? What is your Firewall/Router?
    Even with all that info, I still recommend you do NOT make your SBS an FTP Server.
    It is your DC, DNS, DHCP etc and to give access you have to give it to a user defined in AD. FTP passes passwords over the Internet in plain text - and that is the password to an AD user. From there it is pretty easy for a hacker to get in and start probing.
    Use a 3rd party for file storage/FTP there are plenty of free ones on the Internet, including ones from MS...

YMMV
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Lots of info here, but lots still required! One NIC or TWO? Standard or Premium? What is your Firewall/Router?
      Even with all that info, I still recommend you do NOT make your SBS an FTP Server.
      It is your DC, DNS, DHCP etc and to give access you have to give it to a user defined in AD. FTP passes passwords over the Internet in plain text - and that is the password to an AD user. From there it is pretty easy for a hacker to get in and start probing.
      Use a 3rd party for file storage/FTP there are plenty of free ones on the Internet, including ones from MS...

YMMV

1. 2 Nic's One for LAN and One for BSNL which connects from SmartAX MT882 -> Cisco Router VOIP -> My system 2003 SBS SP2. STANDARD -> I hope you are aksing about the CARD quality

2. No hardware / software firewall installed not even and AV

3. Hacking - > Please suggest a full proof system

4. I can use free ones but we do CAD service so we dont want an 3rd person to see the images or the drawings except for us and client.

Please let me know what has to be done further

eBRo

Comment

i humbly request if any one can throw some light on this..suggestions/ precautions/test

eBRo

Comment

Working...
        X