Client computer not logging on to domain server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Client computer not logging on to domain server

I am trying to add a client computer to SBS 2003. It is running XP Pro on the client. When I ran the wizard it wouldn't set the client computer up. Now when I try to log on to the client it asks for the User I.D. & password. When I type the ones that I set up on the server it says: "Windows cannot connect to the domain, either because the domain controller is down or otherwise unavailable, or because your computer account was not found". I can't even log on to this machine with the administrator account which is setup & running (can access other clients with administrator account). How do I get the machine to boot so I can get to the internet & run the client setup again, without reinstalling XP Pro? I believe that this machine didn't get the setup info from the server. I currently have 2 other client machines that are running properly on the server so I know it is something I am doing incorrectly during the setup of this machine. Any help will be appreciated.

Re: Client computer not logging on to domain server

Before running the Wizard, do an IPCONFIG /ALL and make sure you have the correct IP (range), DNS etc. If you get a 169.254.x.x IP then you have a connectivity problem.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

hi
      try putting the machine back into a workgroup, then reboot and add it back to the domain. Make sure it has the correct IP settings for the DC

right click my computer>properties>computer name tab>click change and do it there.

and when you've added it to the domain and rebooted, make sure under the user name and password box that your not logging onto the local machine, click the drop down box and choose your new domain.

added note:
      if you can't access the machine at all then you will need to reset the local admin password. I use erd commander or the reset util on hirens boot cd.
      Last edited by uk_network; 20th September 2008, 12:55.
      Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
      I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
      MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Originally posted by uk_network
        try putting the machine back into a workgroup, then reboot and add it back to the domain
        Easy to miss but this is an SBS Server. That suggestion won't work in this case.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Actually, it will work but you are probably missing a few steps.
          Go into the Client computers on Server Manglement and delete the computer you created. Recreate a new client computer with (UTFW) the wizard, then remove the computer itself to a workgroup. Then rejoin to the domain using //<server>/connectcomputer , ensuring only one network card is enabled.
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I guess I didn't highlight the main problem right now; that is I can't even get passed the I.D. & password screen to get the machine running. I can't do anything else until I get past this screen. I don't want to reinstall the operating system just to get past this point. Is there any way to do this or will I have to reinstall to get the machine running?

Comment

Originally Posted by uk_network
              try putting the machine back into a workgroup, then reboot and add it back to the domain
              Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
              Easy to miss but this is an SBS Server. That suggestion won't work in this case.
              Doh, I read uk's post as putting the SBS Server back into a workgroup.

Just to add to the one network card enabled that Steven mentioned, if you have Bluetooth on your machine, disable that as well. Don't know about XP but in Vista it is detected as a NIC and the Wizard fails as a result.
              Last edited by biggles77; 22nd September 2008, 18:37. Reason: Add info.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

are you able to change the "log onto" part of the ID/Password Screen?

If your workstation is trying to log onto the Domain, it might fail due to issues, but if you can change the log onto option to "This Computer", ie locally, you should be able to get into the computer.

I suspect theissues you are having are linked to either DNS or Trust Relationships with the domain.

Both are easy to solve so if you can get into the machine following my advice, then if you need any help, let me know.

Adrian

Comment

Working...
                X