No announcement yet.

SBS 2000 to 2003 Upgrade

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2000 to 2003 Upgrade

About to do a SBS 2000 to SBS 2003 upgrade on a production server. Any pitfalls that I need to be aware off??

There are plenty, depending on your method. In-place upgrade is usually not recommended unless you are certain that your 2000 server is squeaky clean without any inherent problems. An in-place upgrade is likely to just transport those problems and amplify them in the "new" server. If you want to use the Microsoft docs, then prepare for long nights and weekends, and a lot of down time.
    I recommend using a toolkit available from which has a method to enable you to leave your production server running as long as possible, work offline with your upgrade as much as possible and preserve nearly all of your settings on the server AND the wokstations.
    Declaration of interest: is run by fellow MVP Jeff Middleton. Although I have no direct financial gain to be made by recommending his method, I have a will to help him succeed.

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.