X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• backup exec services won't start so program fail to strat

HI.
    i have backup exec 12 on sbs 2003.
    i recently changed the server password and the backup worked fine for a while.
    now when itry to open the program i get the connect to media server and i need to enter the password.
    at the buttom of that screen i can see that the services r down' when i press start all services i get this:

Starting Backup Exec Server on (server name).
    Error starting the service Backup Exec Server on (server name)..
    The dependency service or group failed to start.
    Starting Backup Exec Job Engine on (server name)..
    Error starting the service Backup Exec Job Engine on (server name)..
    Starting Backup Exec Agent Browser on (server name)..
    Error starting the service Backup Exec Agent Browser on (server name)..
    Starting Backup Exec DLO Administration Service on (server name)..
    Error starting the service Backup Exec DLO Administration Service on (server name).The dependency service or group failed to start.
    Starting Backup Exec DLO Maintenance Service on (server name)..
    The service Backup Exec DLO Maintenance Service is already running on (server name)..
    Start services on server (server name).completed.

Processing services completed!

i even went to services manualy and tried to start it from there but i got error 1068 The dependency service or group failed to start.
    i even went to the problematic services, went to properties, log on and changed the password over there but still couldn't strat the service.
    so at the end the backup id not running.
    any ideas?
    thanx
    MCP, MCSA 2003, MCSE 2003

Re: backup exec services won't start so program fail to strat

Hello.
    Check the backupexec account permissions. I think it needs local admin on the server that its on.

I had the same problem on my test lab, i uninstalled/rebooted/reinstalled choosing the domain admin account and then everything worked fine.

This is taken from the backupexec help:

If this computer is in a domain, enter a Domain Administrators account, or an equivalent account that is part of the Domain Admins group. In the Domain list, select or enter the Domain name.

If this computer is in a workgroup, enter an Administrators account, or an equivalent account that is part of the Administrators group on the computer. In the Domain list, select or enter the computer name.

The account that you designate for Backup Exec services, whether it is a new account or an existing user account, is assigned the following rights:

Authenticate as any user and gain access to resources under any user identity.
    Create a token object, which can then be used to access any local resources.
    Log on as a service.
    Administrative rights (provides complete and unrestricted rights to the computer).
    Backup operator rights (provides rights to restore files and directories).
    Manage auditing and security log.
    Due to security implementations in Microsoft Small Business Server, the service account must be Administrator.
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Run services.msc and check the permissions for the BE services, entering the new credentials where necessary.

HTH
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

There have also been some updates to v12 recently, make sure you have the latest updates from Symantec. I believe one issue was intermittent service crashes due to a problem with .Net 2? Updating the server to .Net3 might help.

Comment

I had the same issue. I changed to another Domain Admin account and they started working. From what I can gather from the client, they changed the password (they think) from what was used for those services.

I am now prepping to create a Domain Admin Acct to be used to Backups only.

Comment

Two things:

1. Always create a service account(s) in the domain with the appropriate permissions and group memberships for running services, etc.

2. If the BE services are not running the application will not connect to the media server, so how are you able to get the application running to see that the services are down?

3. In the Services mmc which BE services exactly are not running?

Comment

TWO things?

Joeqwerty are you OK? or do you need the Primary 1 Arithmetic Forum?
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Sorry. I meant four things... wait... that's not right either... where is that Math forum?

Comment

Working...
                X