Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Default Mail Account not Exchange

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Default Mail Account not Exchange

    When I logon to a SBS2003 domain as a new user the default mail account is not the exchange server for eh domain - it sest up a personal mailbox. Thsi means that I have to close down outlook and go to mail settings in comtrol panel and manually add the exchnage server ?

    Any ideas

    Is it a GP issue

    John

  • #2
    Re: Default Mail Account not Exchange

    I think you need to supply a lot more info about what you have done.
    Did you create the account using the Wizard or add the use manually?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Default Mail Account not Exchange

      UTFW - it just works!
      TIA

      Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

      We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Default Mail Account not Exchange

        Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
        I think you need to supply a lot more info about what you have done.
        Did you create the account using the Wizard or add the use manually?
        The users are set up at the server using the create user in server manager.

        The PC's are already joined to the domain, I log on as a new user and everything works fine folde r re direction ect except Outlook does not automatically pick up the exchnage account as teh default mail account - it creates and uses a personal email account. I have to clos outlook and manually connect to the exchnage account via mail settings and delete the personal accoubt.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Default Mail Account not Exchange

          unfortunately this is the case.

          When you create a new User either from a Wizard or Active Directory, you can create the Exchange Mailbox etc.

          However, when you then enter the username & passwords into the Workstation, you still need to launch Outlook for the first time and configure it to access Exchange Server, pop in your Exchange Server Address and mailbox name.

          Outlook shouldnt configure a PST File, or Personal E-Mail folder file unless you tell it to.

          Unless someone has a better solution for this ?

          Adrian

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Default Mail Account not Exchange

            Last time I used SBS I'm pretty sure Outlook as autoconfigured,
            You can create a default profile that does this using the resource kit so it is quite possible. I would suspect something like the machine isn't on the domain properly or similar. Isn't there an option to repair or refresh the software on the client machine (outlook specifically)?
            cheers
            Andy

            Please read this before you post:


            Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Default Mail Account not Exchange

              Sbs2003user, how are you connecting/joining the computers to the Domain? Manually or are you using the Wizard?
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Default Mail Account not Exchange

                Originally posted by Apograph View Post
                unfortunately this is the case.

                When you create a new User either from a Wizard or Active Directory, you can create the Exchange Mailbox etc.

                However, when you then enter the username & passwords into the Workstation, you still need to launch Outlook for the first time and configure it to access Exchange Server, pop in your Exchange Server Address and mailbox name.

                Outlook shouldnt configure a PST File, or Personal E-Mail folder file unless you tell it to.

                Unless someone has a better solution for this ?

                Adrian
                Ahem .. if he uses Outlook 2007 it creates the MAPI profile for him on the fly the first time Outlook is opened. One of the better additions of Outlook 2007 over 2003

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Default Mail Account not Exchange

                  Originally posted by sbsuser2003 View Post
                  The users are set up at the server using the create user in server manager.

                  The PC's are already joined to the domain, I log on as a new user and everything works fine folde r re direction ect except Outlook does not automatically pick up the exchnage account as teh default mail account - it creates and uses a personal email account. I have to clos outlook and manually connect to the exchnage account via mail settings and delete the personal accoubt.
                  Thats how ALL previous MAPI clients to Outlook 2007 were designed. The configuration was always manual. If you want to do it on automation there is a way but its fairly convoluted i suppose.

                  First create a outlook profile PRF file, Input %username% in the
                  configure an exchange server connection.
                  http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/prf.htm

                  Create a user login batch to all computer, but the user login name
                  must be same as mail box.
                  The batch run this command.
                  "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\outlook.exe" /importprf \
                  \server\share\testing.prf

                  Or better still upgrade to Outlook 2007!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Default Mail Account not Exchange

                    To echo Steven, UTFW. While not having installed anywhere near as many SBS setups as him, I have never had any problems with email (or other apps) when the Wizards were used. This applies to Office (Outlook) 2003 and Office (Outlook) 2007.

                    I would suggest creating test user with the Wizard, making sure all the settings are correct and perhaps if you have a spare PC, setting that up and connecting it to SBS using the Wizard. If this fails, you are either running the Wizard incorrectly or your SBS has deeper problems. (Please do not take offence at the words as the brain is in mush land after a very long week and my phraseology may not be too crash hot)
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X