Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Web Workplace - Application Server Link For Users

Here is my situation:

I need to have an outside vendor have access to a member server on the network. I set them up with a user profile to have local administrative rights to the Application server for the purposes of performing work. I've already configured the permissions and tested everything. They will be using RWW to access the server.

The problem is that users are not allowed to access servers, however, they should have access to application servers per these articles:

http://blog.mpecsinc.ca/2008/08/term...ing-up-in.html

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro....mspx?mfr=true

I've verified that the registry settings are correctly configured but in my case, the application server is not a terminal server but just a member server hosting multiple well...applications. I checked the server's role by going to Start - Manage Your Server - Add or remove a role, and it shows that it is set up as an Application server. I'm assuming there may be an additional registry hack required on the Application server but I can't find it.

Any assistance with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Remote Web Workplace - Application Server Link For Users

Have you tried making your external user a local administrator on the member server and giving them log on locally and log on over the netwrok rights? - if that is what you need
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

The Application Server link will only work with TS 03/08 serving desktops.

If I understand you correctly, you are serving TSApps or SoftGrid?

Philip

Comment

It's just hosting applications, it's not an actual terminal server running terminal services.

The current account has RWW Users and Remote Desktop. It has already been set up to be a local administrator. I can remote into the server and have local admin rights. The one thing we want to do is to allow them to use the RWW that is already in place to access the server but in RWW, only domain admin accounts will see the server and will be allowed to connect to it. Users cannot.

The only other option would be to have possibly do some sort of port triggering on the firewall so that if they access RDP on port 1234 or something like that then it will trigger port 3389 or that particular server for access.

That would be our last result, however. The fact is, due to the large number of SBS we manage as well as the need to have vendors access member servers and/or client workstations, having them access these through an already implemented portal would be a better best practices scenario for us.

Comment

Are you doing MS TSApps?

You could post a link to the RDP file into the default.aspx code that the links page runs off of.

Other than that, you will have the ability to publish TSApps via RWW on SBS 2008. We have had a few trial runs at it, though not successful as documentation is weak in this area so far ... though we are making good headway.

BTW, SBS 08 will give you very granular access permissions structures for any user or group via RWW ... it is a huge improvement over SBS 2K3.

Philip

Comment

Just to confirm what was said above: SBS 2008 will let you run it as a TS Gateway. Of course, with Premium Version you could run it all virtualised on the asme server. Hyper-V with the SBS2008 Server as the host partition, then the SBS in ine child partition, then the second child as the TS .

See todays SBS blog for supported configurations.
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by MPECSInc View Post
              Are you doing MS TSApps?

You could post a link to the RDP file into the default.aspx code that the links page runs off of.

Other than that, you will have the ability to publish TSApps via RWW on SBS 2008. We have had a few trial runs at it, though not successful as documentation is weak in this area so far ... though we are making good headway.

BTW, SBS 08 will give you very granular access permissions structures for any user or group via RWW ... it is a huge improvement over SBS 2K3.

Philip
              Thank you everyone for the replies, however, goign to SBS 2008 is currently not an option. Again, this is just to allow an outside vendor to have access to one of the member servers through Remote Web Workplace.

What do you mean by "You could post a link to the RDP file into the default.aspx code that the links page runs off of."

Sorry, I'm not much of a web publishing guy, hell, I'm bearly a Window's server guy. I'm in the eternal "learning as I go" phase.

Comment

Given the RWW structure in SBS 2003, you are asking a pretty tough question then.
                As far as the link:
                On a workstation within the domain type: mstsc [enter]
                Create your connection setup to the TS box, then click the Save As button.
                Save it to a location, then copy it into the IIS/Remote folder on the server.
                Write in a link to Default.aspx: [a href="mytsserversetup.rdp"]My TS Server[/a]
                Change the [ to less than and the ] to greater than in the above example.
                Now, I am not too sure that SBS 2003 will act as a TS Gateway which was mentioned above and may be the killer to this setup.
                Philip

Comment

Given the RWW structure in SBS 2003, you are asking a pretty tough question then.
                  As far as the link:
                  On a workstation within the domain type: mstsc [enter]
                  Create your connection setup to the TS box, then click the Save As button.
                  Save it to a location, then copy it into the IIS/Remote folder on the server.
                  Write in a link to Default.aspx: [a href="mytsserversetup.rdp"]My TS Server[/a]
                  Change the [ to less than and the ] to greater than in the above example.
                  Now, I am not too sure that SBS 2003 will act as a TS Gateway which was mentioned above and may be the killer to this setup.
                  Philip
                  Well, I'm putting this in RWW on the DC so that the RDP connection will point to another server. I've found the configuration but I just don't know what to configure. The link you mention writing, do I edit the file directly or from IIS Manager? Do I put that coding in the default.aspx file or create another file that points to the default.aspx file.

Again, I apologize but if there's one thing I'm weaker on then Windows, it's web design type stuff. Sorry dude, I'm such a noob at this stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Euphrates View Post
                    Well, I'm putting this in RWW on the DC so that the RDP connection will point to another server. I've found the configuration but I just don't know what to configure. The link you mention writing, do I edit the file directly or from IIS Manager? Do I put that coding in the default.aspx file or create another file that points to the default.aspx file.

Again, I apologize but if there's one thing I'm weaker on then Windows, it's web design type stuff. Sorry dude, I'm such a noob at this stuff!
                    The link would be edited into the default.aspx file that RWW uses.

Philip

Comment

The link would be edited into the default.aspx file that RWW uses.

Philip
                      Sorry for getting in this thread, but I have the exact same issue as the original thread starter.

I think your suggestion makes sense, but I am a bit confused as to WHERE in default.aspx I should put it. I added the .rdp file to inetpub/remote, but where should I put the <a href="rdpfilename.rdp">Descriptive text</a>?

Below are the contents of my default.aspx file:

<%@ Page language="c#" Codebehind="default.aspx.cs" AutoEventWireup="false" Inherits="remote._default" %>
                      <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN" >
                      <html>
                      <head>
                      <title><%=loadResString("L_RUP_TITLE", orgName)%></title>
                      <meta name="GENERATOR" Content="Microsoft Visual Studio 7.0">
                      <meta name="CODE_LANGUAGE" Content="C#">
                      <meta name=vs_defaultClientScript content="JavaScript">
                      <meta name=vs_targetSchema content="http://schemas.microsoft.com/intellisense/ie5">
                      <META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache">
                      <META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="-1">
                      </head>
                      <frameset rows="<%=m_nRowSize%>,86%" border="0">
                      <frame name="header" scrolling=yes src="loading.aspx?header.aspx" noresize>
                      <frame name="main" scrolling=yes src="loading.aspx">
                      <noframes>
                      <p id="p1">
                      <%=loadResString("L_NOFRAMES_TEXT")%>
                      </p>
                      </noframes>
                      </frameset>
                      </html>
                      Last edited by naomelixes; 20th November 2008, 14:02. Reason: Added a polite introduction

Comment

Good point.

Since it is a frameset, you will need to trace back and find the body page.

The Codebehind= setting at the top would be a good place to start.

Not being a Visual Studio programmer, I am not able to open the code up in VS and even begin to get a grasp on it!

Philip

Comment

Ok, googled a bit and found this on another forum:

"For admin pages : C:\Inetpub\Remote\admin.aspx
                          For client pages : C:\Inetpub\Remote\client.aspx

For users page edit client.aspx . Go right at the bottom of client.aspx and just above </body> tag add your code for link.
                          Example:
                          </form>
                          Home Page <a href="http://www.domain.com/">Intranet Site</a>
                          </body>
                          </HTML>"

So, I got the link to work, but (I was kinda expecting this...) it won't work that way, because mstsc tries to connect to the server and it is not reachable from the outside. Can SBS act as a TS gateway in order for the connection to work?

Comment

Originally posted by naomelixes View Post
                            Can SBS act as a TS gateway in order for the connection to work?
                            I looked into it briefly at one stage, but everything I saw suggested the answer is no. While it's not exactly what you're looking for, you could look at setting up VPN access if you haven't already considered that.
                            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                              I looked into it briefly at one stage, but everything I saw suggested the answer is no. While it's not exactly what you're looking for, you could look at setting up VPN access if you haven't already considered that.
                              Yes, I know that is one other option...

Well, I'll hammer on this one for a bit, if I find a good solution, I'll be sure to post my findings here

Thank you all for your prompt replies

Comment

Working...
                              X