Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Network policy settings prevent you from using this website to get updates for your..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network policy settings prevent you from using this website to get updates for your..

I went to do Windows updates on my custmers SBS 2003 server today through RDP and received the error "Network policy settings prevent you from using this website to get updates for your computer"

I never made any changes to any of he GPOs. I manually checked all the policies relating to Windows updates and all of them are set to not defined. I even experimented and tried to explicity set some of them to disable like "Remove access to use all Windows Update features".

I searched the registry and there is no keys prohibiting windows update like NoWindowsUpdate and DisableWindowsUpdateAccess

Automaic Updates in Control Panel is greyed out and updates are off.
    This has me stumped. I need to get the IMF update for Exchange Server. This used to work fine before. Any help would be appreciated.

This version of SBS is not R2 and does not have update services.
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Re: Network policy settings prevent you from using this website to get updates for yo

{solved}

Through a combination articles and tinkering around with GPO got it fixed. First I stopped the automatic update service. The in the \system32\ folder I renamed the folder SoftwareDistribution to SoftwareDistribution old. The I restarted the automatic update server.

Next I edited the registry searching for and deleting any occurances of NoWindowsUpdate and DisableWindowsUpdateAccess

Finally. I went through all the group pilicies, starting with the default domain policy, and made sure all objects relating to WindowsUpdate under Administrative Templates weere set to 'not configured'

I was then able to do Windows updates and get the much needed updates for IMF.

Comment

Re: Network policy settings prevent you from using this website to get updates for yo

First of all, thanks for posting back with the solution.
      But inquiring minds would like to know how you got in to that situation in the first place?
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

It was very important for me to get this working just for the IMF updates my customer needed. Last one was July 31. On and off, I spent most of the day at this and it was an accumulation of suggestions and solutions all obtained from Google.

The first error was ""Network policy settings prevent you from using this website to get updates for your computer". Renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder to something else after stopping the autoupdate server allowed me to get to the uppdate page.

When I clicked on 'express', I got the message "The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view.Error number: 0x80245003"

I researched 0x80245003 and went back to the registry edits I found from a previous Google search. I was about to look for a corrupted ActiveX control and remembered to go back into the Group Policy editor and set everything to 'not configured'.

If you recall from my first post, I had set two policies to 'disabled' as an experiemnt. After making these changes too, everything worked.

When I googled this it was quite overwelming all the hits I got back. Most of the hits pertained to XP. I started to systematically go through each solution, many of them repeats of a previous solution that had been published.

Comment

Working...
        X