SBS upgrade questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS upgrade questions

We have a client who is running SBS 2003. It's a fairly typical install; they are running the kitchen sink on it, multiple databases for custom apps, exchange, backups, etc. It's using all its RAM and hard drive space, there are multiple NASs and USB drives hanging off if it just to keep it going. I need to migrate them to a larger server and they're very cheap. The boss just wants to me LiveState it over to new hardware; obviously, I want to do a fresh install (since current machine is a bit FUBAR) and also to move them to a 64-bit platform, perhaps SBS 2008. They have a second server, a Server 2003 Web Edition as a front-end to their LOB app.

I haven't used SBS much. Can I add a SBS 2008 machine to an existing SBS organization and make it a domain controller? Does the 2008 machine have to be Premium Edition? Does the existing 2003 box have to be Premium Edition? How do I even tell which edition it is?

Re: SBS upgrade questions

SBS 2003 can be the only SBS box in the domain. Simple as, end of. You can have additional domain controllers in the domain, but they must be Windows Server 2003 and they must not hold any of the FSMO roles (they can be a GC but that's largely a redundant function in a single SBS domain).

If you convince them to get the new SBS 2008 box, you will need to set up a new SBS 2008 domain and use a migration product to migrate your users and computers to it. Our resident experts here seem to like Swing Migration as their migration product of choice. I have also used Quest's migration products and they seem good - but I am talking medium to large enterprise migrations so I don't know how the pricing scales to a small <75 user company. Wouldn't it be worth considering the possible future expansion of the business and going for a single Server 2003/2008 domain, rather than SBS? Migration would be a lot easier (you could just add a 2003 DC, and migrate your data, then at some point shut down the SBS box and seize all the roles off it and your migration to Windows 2003 would be complete...) and you could then rebuild the ex-SBS box with a more realistic role in mind... maybe as an applications server or a file & print server.

Just a thought...

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Also, the release date for SBS 2008 is November 12. Can you wait until then or is this uber urgent?

If you can wait then you will have to install clean since SBS 2008 is 64bit and what better excuse to use so you can install it clean and correctly. I am going to try and read about SBS2003 to SBS 2008 migrations today so if I do get time I will try and post back about the possibility or maybe Steven will beat me to it.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

It could wait until the release of SBS 2008. However give the information Tom has given me, I think I'll recommend 2003 or 2008 x64 server, since I want to add it to the existing domain. A forklift migration is just not called for here. Although I see ADMT 3.1 is out, it would just require a lot more work that they would want to hire us for.

Comment

Depending on your user numbers then EBS may also be an option worth looking at. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv.../editions.mspx

With Tom's senario you are still stuck with Server 2003 which is now 5 years old and you would have to purchase 2 Server 2003 licences PLUS new CALS to go with them. With SBS 2008 you do have some future proofing at a greatly reduced cost. It is a bit of a juggling act isn't it.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

If your AD is good, you could still swing it to new hardware. Plus for SBS 2008 there is a migration scenario in the works. Finally SBS 2008 premium gives you an extra server license which could be an additional server (x64 or x32) for your LOB/SQL apps. So you could migrate your SBS to new hardware then reprovsion your old server for the apps - just get a good firewall for the edge!
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

The number of users does not call for EBS - although it's a good suggestion -

I am going to recommend that they purchase a new server and put SBS 2008 on it. This server will run SQL, Exchange, File and print server, and will run Backup Exec 12.5 SBS (obviously also be the domain controller as well). I am going to leave their current 2003 Web Edition front-end server as is.

1) will they need Premium Edition for any reason... I don't think they would.

2) Are there any good resources for 2003 - 2008 migration? I found the helpfile here, but am not able to open it for some reason... has anyone tested out the migration yet? I am particularly curious about moving Exchange between domains, going from Win2003/Exchange 2003 to Win2008 / Exchange2007.....

3) I do nto have a preference swing (i.e. keep the AD) VS. forfilft (brand new AD) migration.... any suggestions are welcome. Not sure if the procedure here would work going to SBS 2008, and they're trying to sell something...
              Last edited by Moose1309; 17th October 2008, 21:12.

Comment

SBS2003 to SBS2008 migration does not require a "swing" migration.
                The SBS2008 product will run for 21 days in the same domain as the SBS2003 server. The SBS2008 server has a migration wizard that walks you through
                the entire proccess, sometimes doing things for you and others giving you a fairly easy to follow instruction sheet.

If your server is running, or needs to run SQL you will have to go with the Premium product.

User CAL's are another major concideration. The SBS2008 CAL's are more expensive, and unless your client has SA on the current server there is not CAL upgrade.

Check out this link for the SBS migration instructions:
                http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc546034.aspx

I have done this twice in a lab environment and twice on production equipment and it is a pretty straight forward proccess.

Comment

Actually the statement "the SBS2008 CAL's are more expensive" is very misleading. There are now two CALS in 2008 - standard and premium - and standard CALs are, in fact, cheaper. Premium CALS are only required for those using Premium Technologies ie those accessing SQL on the second server - and they are still cheaper than SQL CALs.
                  The migration to SBS 2008 from 2003 is wizard driven (what else?) but I recommend you run the 2003 BPA before you start to check what may be FUBARRed on your old server. Put that right, make sure you have only a single NIC on your new 2008 server and your migration is good to go.
                  TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                  http://www.wintra.co.il/
                  sigpic
                  Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                  X