Server keeps disconnecting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server keeps disconnecting

Hello all. I'm new to this forum and looking forward to some possible help (receiving it AND giving it) regarding a number of issues. The big one I'm dealing with today is in regards to SBS 2000. I'm new to server management (I've been doing a lot of reading and "practising" for about the last 6 months now) and I have just set up a new server at a local youth centre. A problem I've encountered involves the server randomly disconnecting from any of the 8 or so clients at any time. There's no order to it (seemingly) and it's rarely simultaneous. I've found on my computer there in particular I lose connection for one or two hours and then it's reestablished. I'm running both DNS and DHCP through the server. Has anyone run accross this problem before? Is there additional info I can provide? Thanks for your time!

Re: Server keeps disconnecting

How many workstations do you have connected to the network?
    How many CALs (Client Access Licences) do you have?
    How did you join the workstations to the Domain? Manually or did you use the Wizard?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I have a total of 9 workstations connected with 10 total licenses available. I joined all the workstations manually I suppose. they are all running Windows XP so I just went into the "my computer" properties and set them on our domain. Does that answer your questions or am I misunderstanding you? Thanks for your time!

Comment

Try ing "Autodisconnect" and see if that is related to your problem. Are your workstations members of the domain?
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

All the computers are members of my domain as I understand it. They are not registered to any other domain.

Comment

All right it's taken some time but I finally got around to searching out autodisconnect. I thought it was having an impact but it turned out I had a nasty virus that took me about 5 days to discover a fix for. So now that I'm back to full functionality, I seem to still be having random disconnects. Any other ideas?

Comment

When you say "the server is disconnecting" exactly what do you mean? Do you mean that mapped drives on the clients are disconnecting? If so, that is normal behavior. Do you mean something else? If so, please provide more detail on the problem.

Comment

Hey Joeqwerty. Thanks for the inquiry. There are actually two diferent things occurring. The primary issue is that I get a little computer icon appearing in the taskbar with a pop-up that states "Offline files - Computer(s) offline". This results in all files not synched to disappear (as one might expect). It happens randomly and to different computers at different times. As far as I can tell there is no consistent pattern in the disconnections but every computer in the domain is affected. The Server itself is still on and connecting with multiple other computers, just not the one or two that this message is popping up on. The other problem (and I suspect this one would have an easier answer) is that I have 1 client whose account never seems to store her mapped drive and syncronized files for one particular share. Other shares remain successfully. Does that answer your question?

Comment

How many client computers are there and how many CAL's do you have?

Since Offline Files are controlled by the Slow Link Detection setting in Group Policy you might look there. You can get more info about it at Microsoft's web site. I might also suggest you look at the server's NIC to see if it's configured for the correct speed and duplex. Also look at perfmon stats for the NIC on the server to see if there are errors, drops, packets backing up in the queue, etc.

Run a sniffer on your network and see if anything "shows" itslef, like a broadcast storm, etc. that might be saturating the network links. Also run a sniffer on the server to determine how much of the link to/from the server is being utilized.
                  Last edited by joeqwerty; 29th August 2008, 00:12.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe
                    How many client computers are there and how many CAL's do you have?
                    I can answer that question Joe, 10 CALS and 9 workstations.

After following Joe's sound advice and if you still have a problem you could try removing the user from the Domain and then add them back on again. Use the Wizard this time and see if that makes a difference.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Wow thanks for the wealth of advice Joeqwerty. I'll be looking up what some of those things you suggested are and where I can find them (sniffer, perfmon, group policy)in the next day or so. I will get back to you with my results.

Also a thanks to Biggles for the help!

Comment

All right I've been able to find a couple services here but I'm really a fish-out-of-water when it comes to interpreting the results.

I've set Slow Link Detection to "disabled"

I found and loaded the Microsoft Network Monitor to use as a "sniffer" but have absolutely no idea what anything means. Can I get some additional info on this one please?

I haven't been able to find out where I might find a "perfmon" for the NIC. Could you please advise?

Thanks

Comment

I am yet to hear back from anyone regarding the perfmon suggestion. This problem is getting to be more of a nuisance on a daily basis. ANy help please?

Comment

set up the following counters in perfmon. then let it run and post the stats.

Network Interface (make sure to select the right interface)
                            Bytes Total/sec
                            Current Bandwidth
                            Output Queue Length
                            Packets Outbound Errors
                            Packets Received Errors
                            Packets/sec
                            Packets Outbound Discarded
                            Packets Inbound Discarded
                            Packets Received Non-Unicast/sec
                            Packets Sent Non-Unicast/sec

Comment

Thanks again for your help Joeqwerty (who knew I was being helped by the "Most Valuable Member!)

I finally got around to learning how to run perfmon and collect the logs you asked for. I hope I've got the right stuff here. unfortunately when I try and post it the forum doesn't seem to let me. Either there's too much text or when I try and attack it I can't as it's about 2 MB. Suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                              X