Patch Tuesday - 12th August 2008

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patch Tuesday - 12th August 2008

I have had three customers now, all with SBS 2003 whos servers have automatically rebooted after installing these updates. This isn't the issue, the issue is the servers don't complete a full reboot. Since these are remote servers I cannot see the screens to see what the issue is. A hard reboot brings them back online.

Has anyone else had this issue with these updates?
    Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Re: Patch Tuesday - 12th August 2008

Don't take this the wrong way but why on Earth would anyone have their servers configured to automatically update? I never install updates on servers until I've had time to review the updates, and when I can, test them in a non production environment. The latest VMWare debacle should illustrate why this is not a good idea. I'll bet hundreds of VMWare administrators who are using Update Manager went to bed Monday night thinking all was right with the world only to find out Tuesday morning that their virtual infrastructure had turned into one big, expensive paper weight.

Comment

If that was the case I would never get chance to install updates on any of these servers. These are servers that are used by 5-10 people. I doubt the customer would pay for my time to test every up date on their servers, not to mention these servers are all over the country. In any case there has never been an issue before.
      Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Joeqwerty is basically correct. Even Update Services in SBS 2003 R2 defaults to clients automatically updating (AU) and servers only DOWNLOADING. Now the client has to pay you, or lose time for solving this issue.
        However there is an issue under investigation by MS that under certain circumstances, the servers do not fully reboot after an update, but you lose remote access. After the customer has rebooted, check the event logs and see if the server did in fact reboot from the AU or only from the client hard rebooting.
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

]SK[, I understand what you're saying. Managing updates can be a challenge. It sounds like you don't have the luxury of being able to review updates for all of your clients before they're installed. Unfortunately there are going to be times when an update creates a situation like the one you're facing.

Comment

So teiger, are you confirming that there is word of a fault? Since what you are saying does sound very simular. Servers are rebooting as found in the event logs. Just the server cannot make any contact with anything over the IP network, despite being able to ping itself etc. A second reboot does fix the problem.

It's times like this when ILO is a life saver.

Comment

Can you RDP out at all? I know this "problem" can stop you RDPing in but I have seen where you can still remote out. If you can get out but not in then I may have a fix. Just have to find the instructions.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I didn't try. I really doubt it though since every ping attempt shows Desination Host Unreachable. The only device it can see over the network is itself.

Comment

Hello, new information!
                  Originally posted by SK
                  I really doubt it though since every ping attempt shows Desination Host Unreachable
                  Perhaps then we could get some more info about this problem.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I said already that you cannot make contact with anything via the network. I didn't say this in the first post as at this time I hadn't managed to get in front of one of these servers to see the issue. After arriving at the customers site I saw then that Windows had fully booted with all services starting up. But as said before, nothing can communicate across the network. A reboot fixed the issue.
                    In essence my first assumption is wrong, in that the servers don't fully reboot. They do reboot it seems but just nothing can contact the server over the network.

Anyway consider the thread closed. I have had others confirm this problem, which is really all I was after.
                    Last edited by ]SK[; 16th August 2008, 07:47.

Comment

OK I now have more info....
                      Check the event log to see if IPSec Service is "blocked" It is set to choose random ports on startup. Unfortunately the range of ports are sometimes in use by other services, so IPSec doesn't start. If that happens, the server effectively has no communication with anything.
                      Microsoft SE (Sustained Engineering) are aware of this problem and are working on a fix. Rebooting is also a "fix" currently as IPSEC randomly selects another free port.
                      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                      http://www.wintra.co.il/
                      sigpic
                      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                      X