No announcement yet.

SBS 2003 Standard - Upgrading MSDE to SQL Express (2005 / 2008)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2003 Standard - Upgrading MSDE to SQL Express (2005 / 2008)

Couple of quick questions.

1. Has anyone tried using the recently released SQL Server 2008 Express Edition on SBS 2003, to replace MSDE?

2. Am i right in thinking the of 3 DBs that comes with SBS (Monorting, SharePoint and WSUS), only SharePoint can be upgraded to use SQL Express (2005 or 0? The other two have to be on MSDE?

Re: SBS 2003 Standard - Upgrading MSDE to SQL Express (2005 / 200

Monitoring (Monorting ? I like that!) specifically tells you NOT to upgrade. WSUS is automatically upgraded to SQL 2005 Express - the MSDE replacement - when you install WSUS 3 SP1. That leaves Sharepoint which could be upgraded - it adds the "search" function to Sharepoint when upgraded to full SQL - but I wouldn't do it to 2008. I fear it is not supported.
    In SBS 2008 sharepoint moves to v3.0 and SQL2005 Express but now includes search function natively.
    Unless you have a good BUSINESS reason to upgrade, I would leave alone. Stay out of unsupported territory and don't be the first to use new technology - unless you really want to be MS BETA TESTER!

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Re: SBS 2003 Standard - Upgrading MSDE to SQL Express (2005 / 200

Heh, its not like i can even blame typing too quickly on misspelling that - ill put it down to early morning tired posting!

Anyways, thanks for the reply.

Ive got WSUS 3.0 SP1, and ive upgraded SharePoint to SQL 2005 Express (with Advanced Services SP2?) and all is working well.

One thing, how can you check what is running on what? SQL Server Services Manager shows:

Whereas SQL Server Management Studio Express allows me to connect to:

and then if i browse for more inside the connection box, i also get: SERVER\MICROSOFT##SSEE
      but loose SERVER\WSUS

Im just confused as to why i dont have one management console for everything, or one for SQL 2005 (SharePoint and WSUS) and one for MSDE (Monitoring). And whats SERVER\MICROSOFT##SSEE?

Thanks for the help.

P.S. Would have thought SBS2008 would ship with SQL 2008 Express, no?