No announcement yet.

SBS 2003 PPTP VPN Issue

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2003 PPTP VPN Issue

So I did some Windows Updates the other day, rebooted my SBS box and now none of my users can connect via the PPTP VPN. I have spent so much time troubleshooting this issue. Anyone ever see this?

Here is the background
    Users come through a Cisco ASA 5505 to connect to my Windows SBS 2003 R2 w/ SP2 box. It is running Exchange SP2.

I have isolated this to the server. I am not able to connect internally either. So I know for a fact it is not the Cisco ASA 5505.

I cannot telnet to port 1723 from the inside to my SBS IP
    When I run currports 1723 is not shown
    I have rebooted the box many times
    I have recreated the RRAS 2 times
    No errors in the event log, service starts with no issues

I get a Error 800: Unable to establish the VPN connection

Any ideas? I hope this is enough info, I have spent well over 5 hrs trying to find an answer!! grrr!
    Last edited by brcmadmin; 9th August 2008, 01:38.
    Be easy on me, I'm here to learn

Re: SBS 2003 PPTP VPN Issue

I fixed it, It was a NIC driver, apparently when you install Windows Server 2003 SP2 it makes some changes to the networking features and if you are using an older driver it may not support these things. The server was using an original MS out of the box driver. Once I downloaded the latest driver from Dell and rebooted the server it resolved the issue. Haha what a pain in the ass!!
    Be easy on me, I'm here to learn

This probably

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Microsoft Updates (MU) probably also fixes this. Never be happy with running MU only once. Run it mujltiple times until there are no new updates and you are sure you understand the meaning of declining those that you decline. If you are not sure, ask the community in forums like these.

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.