Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trust relationship between this workstation and primary domain failed!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trust relationship between this workstation and primary domain failed!

Please Help!

I have no idea what is causing this issue across our whole site at work!

From Client Machines:

if i try to access \\<<servername>> i can access it from any workstation in the office!

If however i try to access \\<<machinename>> from the server i get this error!

\\<<machinename>> is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this resource. Contact Administrator of this system to find out if you have access permissions.

I have obviously had these errors in the past but the next section of the error is what is throwing me!

The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed.

I also have noticed there is an error in the client event viewer that relates to group policy's.

The Security System could not establish a secured connection with the server cifs/<<FQDN>> No authentication protocol was available.

I am sure this has something to do with it but what is odd is when i run gpupdate from the client this error is logged but if i change the password on the server for my user account the changes are reflected and work on the client which to me tells me that an authentication protocol is there and working!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards
    Peter

Re: Trust relationship between this workstation and primary domain failed!

Right, well, let's start with some basics shall we?

Give us some INFORMATION to go on - like for instance:

1. What OS your domain controllers are running?
    2. What OS your workstations are running?
    3. What speed and spec is the network between them?
    4. How many DCs you have and how well are they connected?
    5. Have you run REPLMON and done the "test domain for errors"?

This will at least start us off...

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Re: Trust relationship between this workstation and primary domain failed!

This may already be resolved but here's a response for any other sufferers !

Firstly, before chopping and changing settings, please make sure your DNS Settings are correct, your primary DNS Server on each workstation should be pointing to the SBS Server's own IP address. Access permissions are always scuppered if there are and DNS Issues, and this one is usually to blame. Whilst you are checking the DNS Settings, confirm your Gateway settings are pointing to either your Router, Firewall or SBS if it's configured as so.

Your problem is the Trust Relationship, normally brought on by reloading SBS Server and not reconfiguring the Workstations. A Quick fix is performed by Going into your Network Properties on each station and changing the Domain to a workgroup - call the workgroup anything, click OK, and when your computer says Welcome to the "anything" workgroup, you simply need to OK this, then change the settings back to the Domain, enter the domain, then it should be fine.

You dont need to restart the Computer anfter making each change contrary to popular belief, trust me, i;ve done it a million times !

Hope this helps

Adrian

Comment

Working...
      X