Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rename My domian

Hello all,

I am a new Network Admin for a company that has 2 servers only. The first server runs windows 2003 small business edition SP2. Mainly this server is running exchange services. The second server is running server 2003 R2 Standard Edition with Citrix server. Both servers reside in a Co-location in California.

My exchange server is servicing 3 companies. And all the domain names are pointing to my server. For example if I create a user account for John on the first server. He automatically gets [email protected]
    , [email protected] and [email protected]. This is how the previous Admin set it up.

John can check his email by going to www.mail.Acompany.com/exchange , www.mail.Bcompany.com/exchange or www.mail.Ccompany.com using outlook web access.

When john wants to change his password from outlook web access he has to enter the account name, password and domain name. The domain name he has to enter is NewYork for example

Here is my problem.

My management wants to change this domain name to a LA.

Can you please help?

Re: Rename My domian

About renaming domain:
    http://www.petri.com/windows_2003_domain_rename.htm

Comment

Whoa! Belay that, alien_ri...

Jaffan - is this Windows Small Business Server 2003 SP2? Or is it Windows Server 2003 Small Business Edition SP2? I don't even think I've heard of the latter, but we need to be sure.

If it IS SBS...

we have to be sure that that article also applies to SBS 2003 - because SBS is, shall we say, "a bit special".

We need our resident SBS experts to cover this one off... Thread reported for move to SBS forum - if it turns out to be SBS.
      Last edited by Stonelaughter; 31st July 2008, 00:19.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Well I miss important detail called SBS... my bad
        When speaking of renaming domain in near future I'm going to do one, so all your experience in this thread is welcomed

Comment

Moved to SBS Forum.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thank you all, I really appreciate all the help I can get. The server I have is Windows Small Business Server 2003 SP2

Comment

Re: Rename My domain

I think the SBS gurus are the best to answer this but maybe one workaround would be to setup IIS so they didn't need to input their domain name when logging on. I don't think it is possible to change the name without migrating to another one.
              cheers
              Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Hello Andy,

the problem is not when the user is looging in, Its when the change their password they are asked to input their Doman Name.

Comment

So you don't need to change the Domain Name of the SBS server, you just want to have the new name populate the window when the user changes their password. Is this correct?
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

yes.. i want the user to enter a different domain name then then one curently used.

Comment

Then save all your data, export all the mailboxes to PST then wipe the server drives and reinstall SBS with the new name. Then, of course, import all the data and mailboxes into the new install.

I don't know enough about Swing Migration to be able to suggest using that as I have only used it for moving data from old hardware to new hardware while keeping the same Domain Name but I would think it unlikely.

I have not read anything about being able to successfully change an SBS Domain Name. It is not like standard Windows Server 2003 where this can be done.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Swing Migration is NOT a tool for domain renaming - it is all about preserving an existing AD in its present form. RENDOM is also a utility that is not SBS (or Exchange) friendly. You might want to look at ADMT to see if that answers your requirements. But easiest and safest is probably export/import of all data to a new domain.
                        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                        http://www.wintra.co.il/
                        sigpic
                        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                        X