Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I have a W2K server as a member on a W2K3 SBS domain?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I have a W2K server as a member on a W2K3 SBS domain?

As the title goes

We currently have an SBS 2003 domain on one of our sites, and we're running a print server. The print server is Windows 2000 Pro. Can I safely add a Windows 2000 Server as a member server to the domain? I know that SBS domains have limits on the servers, but am I okay with just a member server, not a second DC?

It needs to be 2000 unfortunately, as we have some legacy software which uses features of IE5.5 which Microsoft kindly removed in IE6. I'd rather use W2K Server than W2K Pro.

Many thanks,

Jim

Re: Can I have a W2K server as a member on a W2K3 SBS domain?

No problem at all adding member servers, just make sure you don't have issues with users logging onto it and you hitting your CAL limit.

These look pretty good (will have to wait for the SBS gurus to confirm it though)

There doesn't appear to be any advertising there.
    http://www.sbsrules.com/SBS3Rules.htm
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Nice link, I've not seen that before. Thanks! It's also taught me that I can add additional DCs if I want to, which I didn't realise before.

Thanks again,

Jim

Comment

No probs.
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by jimwillsher View Post
          Nice link, I've not seen that before. Thanks! It's also taught me that I can add additional DCs if I want to, which I didn't realise before.

Thanks again,

Jim
          So its time for you to read the Top 10 SBS Myths!
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by jimwillsher View Post

Thanks again,

Jim
            As long as you don't try to do anything funky like make a child domain, or transfer a FSMO role...

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Thanks everyone. I added the W2K server to the SBS2003 domain last night and all went well.

I've never transferred roles, only seized them during a Swing. Too scared to try anything I don't need to

Jim

Comment

Working...
              X