Remove Mirror

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remove Mirror

Dear all, i want to know how to revome mirror. i have two hardisk on which there is mirroring. Due to mirror you can not use your 50 % space so now i want to remove mirror. How to remove and is there any problem after removal.

Window Server 2003
    disk 0 - C Drive mirror enable
    disk 0 - D Drive mirror enable

Re: Remove Mirror

Just so we are absolutely sure about the mirror, is it of the software or hardware variety. (I am guessing software)

Be aware that once it has been removed you no longer have any redundancy and if the sole remaining HDD fails you could be in a world of hurt, especially if your backups are not up to date.

If you are running out of HDD space then i would recommend adding extra drives or getting larger drives and imaging everything to the larger drives.

I would also not recommend removing a mirror (RAID1) from a production server.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

if it is software RAID, then in disk management, right-click the disk and select "Break Mirror".

If it is Hardware RAID, then we need to know which RAID card you're using and on which kind of computer it is.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Thanks for reply.

But Dear biggles77, i am running out of HDD space in C Drive which is system partition and this is our domain server also same time this is our exchange server.

Yes i want to add new larger hard drive and image everything to that. Would you please please explain what the steps to do that

Actually i am not too much experienced person. i think it is software mirror. How to make sure. It is HP Proliant ML350 Generation 4p server in which two 72 gb hard disks.

c drive 25 gb - 4 gb is remaining
        d drive 40 gb - 25 gb is remaining

i am afraind about c drive which is getting larger everyday due to liveupdate.

please please give me solution how to put larger drive and image everthing from previous hard disk to new larger one. please tell me step by step what to do.

Comment

Why not back up and delete the old live update files and microsoft patch files?

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

Originally posted by aamirshahzadbhatti View Post
            Actually i am not too much experienced person. i think it is software mirror. How to make sure. It is HP Proliant ML350 Generation 4p server in which two 72 gb hard disks.

c drive 25 gb - 4 gb is remaining
            d drive 40 gb - 25 gb is remaining

i am afraind about c drive which is getting larger everyday due to liveupdate.
            If this is SBS 2003, there is a whitepaper how to move data from the C Drive to D, and free up space on the System drive.
            As others have correctly said, it is not a good idea to remove the mirror and its redundancy.
            Last edited by teiger; 22nd July 2008, 13:53. Reason: typo
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

where can i find old live update files and microsoft patch files to delete to get free space.

Biggle, please answer my question which i asked before if you are free.

Comment

To start with there is no need to panic. The Microsoft patch files are hidden so you need to make them visible. In Windows Explorer, click Tools --> Folder Options --> View and enable Show Hidden files and folders.

Under the Windows folder, you can then delete most of the folders that are blue and have folder names that start and end with the $ sign. eg $NtUninstallKB884020$ . Please note that once these files have been deleted you can NEVER uninstall that patch. Do NOT delete this folder. $hf_mig$

As for the Liveupdate file, I have no idea where they are stored as that is a cutomisable option and can be anywhere on the drive. However I would look under Program Files --> Symantec and see if there is anything there. Depending on your Symantec version they cold have a .vbs or .xbs or even another file extension.

However BEFORE you try the above, follow Teiger's advice and read move data link (in blue) that he provided.

And it was Stonelaughter that suggested the MS and Liveupdate file removals.

Make sure you run a full backup BEFORE you start deleting anything and if you have any doubts, DON'T DO IT!!
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Rather than deleting the ms update files, move them to another drive or removable media. As noted, leave $hf_mig$ alone

That way, should you ever absolutely have to remove an update, copy the correct directory back to the C drive and hey presto....

For everything else, get some expert help. It will cost you, but less than a wrecked server!

If you break a mirrored drive, is it seven years bad luck
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I've previously had a problem with Symantec AV and liveupdates, which for an unknown reason was taking up more and more space. As I could not find, and no one knew the password to access the AV I could not see what was happening.

I found that it was storing the files in the following location:
                    "%Profiles Folder%/All Users" <-- Can't remember exactly which sub-folder.

I tried deleting the old update files but that did not solve the problem as they were redownloaded, in the end I uninstalled the AV and installing an alternative.

Hopefully this helps you in some way.

Richard
                    We can't direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails

Comment

In windows folder there is a folder name temp which is 10 GB i dont know is it necessary or not. Inside there file names are like DST3D8.tmp DST3C9.tmp each file is 159 MB. Can i delete them.

Another thing what is diference between REMOVE MIRROR and BREAK MIRRORED VOLUME. Because i dont want mirror so how i remove it. I have software installed Symantec Backup exec, i always take full backup of hard disk so no need of mirroring to waste 50% of hard disk

Comment

i always take full backup of hard disk so no need of mirroring to waste 50% of hard disk
                        It's not wasted because if a drive fails, the server keeps running without interruption. Your backup will take several hours to restore; during which your server will be DOWN without a mirror.

In windows folder there is a folder name temp which is 10 GB i dont know is it necessary or not. Inside there file names are like DST3D8.tmp DST3C9.tmp each file is 159 MB. Can i delete them.
                        Yes you can - if Windows is using any of the files it will complain - in which case simply de-select that file and delete the rest.

Tom

Comment

p.s. "Remove Mirror" and "Break Mirrored Volume" sound like the same thing to me...

Tom

Comment

Dear Stone laughter if REMOVE MIRROR and BREAK MIRRORED VOLUME are same then y microsoft put these two menu when i RIGHT CLICK my mouse on the drive in DISK MANAGEMENT CONSOLE

Comment

Break Mirror, DO NOT Remove Mirror. If you break mirror you will have 2 separate mirrored drives with full data and files.

If you Remove Mirror, you will have 1 drive with full data and file and 1 drive with nothing.

I had a server that took 18 hours to build/configure/add users etc and I had a RAID 1 (mirror) setup. One drive failed and it took about 20 minutes to down server, replace drive and reboot. Offline time, 25 minutes. About 7 months later the the 2nd of the original drives failed. RAID 1 is a very good friend of mine and I do not have ANY server running without this configuration. Remember this is not a replacement for any backup but rather it is for hardware redundency.

Think twice and then think twice again before Breaking the Mirror.
                              1 1 was a racehorse.
                              2 2 was 1 2.
                              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                              X