Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing Backup Device

Dear Experts,

Recently I have installed a new SBS 2003 server on our company. We are 5 users and the server purpose is pretty much regular (Exchange, Sql Server, WSS 3.0, DC, FAX). Currently after 1 month of usage our backup data holds no more than 20GB and I think that it will grow to no more than 50GB during the following year.

Currently I am looking for the best backup solution for our company.

I had some ideas in mind:

Backup tapes - Good solution though very expensive. I think it's a bit overqualified for our needs. Don't you think?

External HDD - Seems like a good option. There is the WD 250GB external USB device and its very cheap comparing the backup tapes solution. The only problem is that I am relaying on a single device. Are there any more down sides for using external HDD as a backup device?

Moreover, do you have some other recommendation for me?
    What are the necessary aspects when choosing the right backup device?

Thank you very much for your help

Tzachi Slav
    Last edited by TSlav; 16th July 2008, 23:10.

Re: Choosing Backup Device

For the cost of external drives nowadays why not get more than one?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Agreed. Just Checking if it is recommended and what are your point of view on this manner.

Comment

That is pretty much what I do. One for every week and then 2 to trade off from day to day.

3.5x the capacity of a single 200gb Ultrium tape, Only $10 more, and a 5yr warranty on the disk itself. I would say it is a little slower over eSata than an internal SCSI Ultrium setup, but not by much.

Comment

Well, there is the online backup option which worth mentioning.
          Its a nice solution and the price is reasable, something like 25$ per month for 3GB storage.

But yet again, if i will use two External HDD drives it will be more than enough for me.

Thanks Guys...

Comment

FWIW, I would vote against on-line backup solutions unless you have a very fast DSL connection.

In the UK at least, ADSL is typically 256-1024Kbits upstream, so (assuming 512 average as some is overhead for other things) you will get:
            64Kbytes / sec or
            16 sec / Mb
            4.55 hours per Gb

So a full backup of your 20 Gb would take some 91 hours!

And of course this assumes the target gives you the same bandwidth....
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Most online backups compress data before it is sent so it does get a bit better than that. 2Mb SDSL 1:1 is pretty good for that sort of stuff as well but you do pay for it and if it is a well known provider Sungard etc they have fat pipes anyway
              cheers
              Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Just remember going forward, that Server/SBS 2008 doesn't support tape natively so you would be looking at an additional BE/Brightstore solution and cost.
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

http://www.vantectw.com/eng/products...ct_ezswap.html - MRK-250ST I have used this device and like it a lot. I have a friend who uses it exclusively on SBS boxes. Only disadvantade so far is you can't purchase just enclosures by themselves but have to buy the cradle as well so you end up with an excess of cradles.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Nice units, though personally, I have been looking for good e-sata units rather than USB.
                    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                    http://www.wintra.co.il/
                    sigpic
                    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                    X