Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing SBS Domain?

Hi

There was an SBS Server installed and set up as per usual. Now the server has changed hands and needs to be set up with a completely different domain.

Is there a proper way of doing this without wiping the server?

Could I just uninstall Exchange, remove AD (dcpromo), change machine name, reinstall AD, then reinstall Exchange?

Thanks

Re: Changing SBS Domain?

No. Changing the Domain Name causes Exchange to throw a fit and not work.

How much data, many users etc do you have on the present device?
    Was this a new owner taking over or is this business being incorporated into an existing structure?
    What is the size of the company and what is its growth potential?
    How old is the server hardware? Is it 32 or 64bit?
    I was wondering if it is possible to hold off until SBS 2008 is released in November or does this change need to be done ASAP?
    Last edited by biggles77; 17th July 2008, 10:15. Reason: Correct typo
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I might read that slightly differently so apologies if I have this wrong. There isn't much difference between uninstalling Exchange & AD and just plain old wiping it really unless you want to keep the data involved (you don't say).

Changing the server name itself has no affect on the domain name either. Are you wanting just to accept new email inbound or change the entire naming structure and for what reason? The internal domain and server name is purely cosmetic to your internal users (generally). Can you provide a bit more info?
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

No data needs to be kept, I just wanted to avoid wiping the machine becuase I am trying to get it so I can do all configuration remotely (hard to get to site on my schedule).

They want this done yesterday and I'm just thinking of ways I can do it all remotely, i.e not formatting the thing.

Just trying to work with what I got under the circumstances

Comment

Clarification: Are you trying to change the e-mail domain (relatively simple) or the AD domain (almost impossible)?
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by hongman View Post
            No data needs to be kept, I just wanted to avoid wiping the machine becuase I am trying to get it so I can do all configuration remotely (hard to get to site on my schedule).

They want this done yesterday and I'm just thinking of ways I can do it all remotely, i.e not formatting the thing.

Just trying to work with what I got under the circumstances
            Changing your internal name space on an SBS server is tantamount to disaster and certainly not recommeded nor supported. In your scenario its completely immaterial and thoroughly pointless. Your internal namespace has no relation to anything other than your internal domains name resolution. Also building an SBS server is entirely interactive. Its not something that can be done remotely until the server is fully configured and operational. Please provide more detail as to EXACTLY what you are trying to do. As already mentioned if you are referring to your email domain then this is a very simple process. Please clarify.

Comment

Both email, and AD domain.

If I could of gotten away with this without reinstalling SBS, I could of configured it remotely - I cant see why not...the software I use controls the "real" desktop, not a terminal services connection. As long as Windows itself is installed, I can control it.

In any case, I have decided it will be too messy if even at all possible to achieve what I want, but thanks for the input anyway.

H

Comment

Working...
              X