Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2k3 +NIC with second network + exchange

Hello everyone,

I have a general question, but I will appreciate any information at all, that will address this specific problem.

nic nr 1 in our sbs 2k3 is an existing working network, I want to connect nic 2 to another router that will provide tunnels to other branches.

What do I need to do to make it work?

is it related to adding another routing path to the routing table or do I have to do something on exchange itself, or maybe both?

Regards,

M
    Last edited by jum4n7i; 16th July 2008, 14:22.
    ..:: jumanji

Re: SBS 2k3 +NIC with second network + exchange

If you want to add a second NIC, and maintain use of the wizards, then it has to be set up as an internal (LAN) NIC and an external (facing the Internet) NIC. Running the CEICW will then set you up a basic firewall based on RRAS. This is not a sustainable environment going forward to SBS2008.

OTOH you can use your existing one NIC setup to create tunnels going out through the Internet, so why bother?
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Teiger,

thank you very much for quick response.

Since maintenance of the second network is outsourced, I can not solve some problems my way. I do realize that would be much simpler approach, but in this case I just have to do what they ask for.

so... when I add this second NIC and use wizard, will that not separate exchange from one network?
      I need to have an access to exchange from both of them.

Is there anything in between that may cause some problems?

I'd like to avoid spending whole night solving problems that may occur along

Kind Regards,

M

Comment

The wizard will not work in the circumstances you describe. It was not designed for your situation.
        TIA

sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

that's fantastic news...

what should I do then

I was thinking from the very beginning about addind route path using cmd, and then probably a connector? or virtual smtp??

Well, I have no idea where to start from...

regards,

M

Comment

I think you are making this far too complex. Tell whoever has the outsourced part that they will get access to the SBS server via the External NIC and they can route whatever they like from there.

The other (real) possibility is I just don't undersatnd what you are asking and will therefore shut up
            TIA

sigpic

Comment

Hello Teiger,

Ok maybe I wasn't clear enough about the problem, but that's just because I don't have full info about that either, even though I was asked to solve that "somehow"...

we have our internal network on 100.125.x.x (that wasn't my idea)
              now, they want to connect second network, so remote branches could use exchange. For me solution is easy: vpn or owa, for them seccon network with separated NIC.

I think we should close that subject, I will try to sort that out in a different way (make them change their minds)

thanks Teiger.

Comment

Working...
              X