Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Design Implementation

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can recommend the best way to implement this scenario.

I have a Windows 2003 Standard Server which is currently the root of the tree and a domain controller. It is home to the active directory for all users.

I want to add another server Windows Small Business 2003 as a backup server. This server will backup the standard server using Symantec's Backup Exec.

I am required to make the backup server a domain controller by windows license.

Any recommendations on how I should add this server in?
    Should is be a new domain under the same tree?
    Create a new tree?
    I was thinking if I could do something like backup.domain.com might be useful?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Design Implementation

Here's a good article. It talks about putting a 2003 SBS in a Active Directory domain that does not have any SBS servers.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884453
    MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

Is the only reason for adding the SBS to install Backup Exec or are there other resons as well.
      You could setup Backup exec in the member server running on Win 2003 if that's any easier.

Cheers
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Thanks for the article boondock.

Yeah, L4ndy, this new server is merely for doing backups. It has a tape drive and Backup Exec.

After reading the article I see that SBS is not what I want for an OS it appears. Doesn't integrate well with Standard. Unfortunately, I already have the server and license of SBS.

So is there anyway this can work? Can I just create a new domain on the SBS and have it just log onto the Standard server as a client to perform backup?

Comment

Working...
        X