Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DCPROMO error/w32time not installed!

Hey all,

my inaugaral post Im having some problems when trying to demote a SBS2K3 server.

Background info; this box came from a branch office, was never a member of our global directory services, so stands alone in terms of its configuration. Now, when trying to demote it through dcpromo, it comes back with an error:-

"The operation Failed

Failed to configure the service w32time as requested

"The specified service does not exist as an installed service" "

Looking through the services adminstrative page, there is no sign of Windows Time. Im not quite sure how the server ever functioned properly seeing as w32time is integral to kerberos and therefore access to AD, is it not?

I have managed to get a hold of w32time.exe from a MS ftp site, but am unsure as to how to install this as a service.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Re: DCPROMO error/w32time not installed!

If it is completely missing and not just disabled that is odd.
    One question I have though is why are you trying to demote it? It is probably against the eula to run it just as a member or additional DC (it will probably cause issues when you promote it anyway assuming that is you plan)
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Thanks for the reply,

the plan is to demote it and add it as a member server to our existing domain.

I found it equally as odd let me assure you!

Comment

You CANNOT demote an SBS server. It has to be a DC with all FSMO roles on it . Otherwise it will reboot every 1 hour and be useless in your organisation. If you want a member server then BUY a member server license or the SBS transition pack if you are at SBS 2003 R2 level.
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

That never even occurred to me teiger, thank you for the info.

In that case, I will have to change my plan of attack. The reason I need it in its current format is due to the fact that it has a web app installed on that our organisation needs to access.

My only fear is that, it has the same AD name as our own local AD. I fear there could be problems if I just put it on our network. With that in mind, is there any way to rename its existing AD instance, so that none of our existing clients/topology will be affected?

Many thanks again!

edit: I should add, the web app is not easily removed as it has a complex licensing systems integrated and paired with this machine only.
          Last edited by bobmeaney; 10th July 2008, 13:44. Reason: extra info

Comment

You have (as I see it) two potential options.

1. Remove the app onto another server with the use of a consultant from the vendor, then kill your SBS box and reformat as a member server for something else,

or

2. Try to use RENDOM or NET DOM to change the domain name of the SBS box - but I don't even know if these will work with SBS.

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Option 1 is a good option
              For Option 2 see option 1 !!!
              RENDOM is not a realistic option in SBS (because of Exchange)
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
              X