Cannot start POP3 Virtual Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot start POP3 Virtual Server

Anyone ever see this? I get the following error when trying to start the POP3 Virtual Server. This is a Windows SBS 2003 SP2 installation. I have had Exchange up and running with no issues (previous person set this up) An outside consultant would like POP access to an email account created for this user in my customers domain. See screen shots below. I have looked high and low for this, the issue is not with the POP3 service starting, it is the VS which won't start.

I enabled the Microsoft Exchange POP3 service (disabled by default)

I even tried enabling the Microsoft Connector for POP3 Mailboxes (disabled by default)

Thanks!
    Be easy on me, I'm here to learn

Re: Cannot start POP3 Virtual Server

Do you have a second NIC which is enabled but unused?
    [Powershell]
    Start-DayDream
    Set-Location Malibu Beach
    Get-Drink
    Lay-Back
    Start-Sleep
    Wake-Up!
    Resume-Service
    Write-Warning
    [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Comment

Check and see if the process isnt already running (inetinfo) under process`s in task manager. You can check the process string from services. either way i wouldnt bother with POP3. Exchange supports IMAP which is far superior to POP3 and is an online email solution as opposed to POP which is a delivery only (offline) method. Outlook Express or Outlook can be configured to use IMAP. Open up port 143 point it to your exchange and bobs your uncle.

Comment

Originally posted by Killerbe View Post
        Do you have a second NIC which is enabled but unused?
        Single NIC

Comment

Originally posted by scurlaruntings View Post
          Check and see if the process isnt already running (inetinfo) under process`s in task manager. You can check the process string from services. either way i wouldnt bother with POP3. Exchange supports IMAP which is far superior to POP3 and is an online email solution as opposed to POP which is a delivery only (offline) method. Outlook Express or Outlook can be configured to use IMAP. Open up port 143 point it to your exchange and bobs your uncle.
          Will this work for a user who is outside to domain and not connected via VPN? They work for another company with Exchange, so they wanted all emails to come into their Outlook without having separate profiles.

FYI inetinfo is currently running under Task Manager

Comment

Originally posted by brcmadmin View Post
            Will this work for a user who is outside to domain and not connected via VPN? They work for another company with Exchange, so they wanted all emails to come into their Outlook without having separate profiles.

FYI inetinfo is currently running under Task Manager
            If the user requires access to your domain his going to need a user account IN your domain and obviously a mailbox aswell. When he POP`s the email and relays mail he will be authenticating with a user account/mailbox in YOUR domain. Where he access`s this from is immaterial. As long as ports 110 and 25 are open and the user has permissions to relay on the SMTP protocol in exchange he can send and recieve mail. I suggested IMAP because this is a far more effective way of managing mail for the host and is an online solution as opposed to POP which is entirely offline as the contents of the mailbox will be downloaded to a .pst. With IMAP the contents of the mailbox reside on the server. Thus there is redundancy of sorts because the mail still lives on the server and not on the hosts PC.

They will not require a seperate profile. Simply add the account in Outlook as you would do normally and point the account to your servers public IP address for POP and SMTP respectively. NOTE in order to relay you will need to ensure that the tab in outlook for "outgoing authentication is checked" and the users DOMAIN logon details entered for the authentication. If this isnt added the user wont be able to send email via YOUR exchange. (Either way it is possible for them to relay from a mail server on there own subnet/network)

Your mail server recieves email from the internet. Im presuming you are using NAT with your mail server behind a NAT/firewall device. As long as the server is on the internet anyone can access it. A VPN connection is not neccesary.

The POP3 service for mailbox collection runs under the "inetinfo.exe". Kill it in task manager and then respawn it by starting the service for POP3 in services. That should do the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by scurlaruntings View Post
              If the user requires access to your domain his going to need a user account IN your domain and obviously a mailbox aswell. When he POP`s the email and relays mail he will be authenticating with a user account/mailbox in YOUR domain. Where he access`s this from is immaterial. As long as ports 110 and 25 are open and the user has permissions to relay on the SMTP protocol in exchange he can send and recieve mail. I suggested IMAP because this is a far more effective way of managing mail for the host and is an online solution as opposed to POP which is entirely offline as the contents of the mailbox will be downloaded to a .pst. With IMAP the contents of the mailbox reside on the server. Thus there is redundancy of sorts because the mail still lives on the server and not on the hosts PC.

They will not require a seperate profile. Simply add the account in Outlook as you would do normally and point the account to your servers public IP address for POP and SMTP respectively. NOTE in order to relay you will need to ensure that the tab in outlook for "outgoing authentication is checked" and the users DOMAIN logon details entered for the authentication. If this isnt added the user wont be able to send email via YOUR exchange. (Either way it is possible for them to relay from a mail server on there own subnet/network)

Your mail server recieves email from the internet. Im presuming you are using NAT with your mail server behind a NAT/firewall device. As long as the server is on the internet anyone can access it. A VPN connection is not neccesary.

The POP3 service for mailbox collection runs under the "inetinfo.exe". Kill it in task manager and then respawn it by starting the service for POP3 in services. That should do the trick.
              I already created an account in AD for this user, along with an email box. I was just saying she will be outside the domain because she works from home. I see how IMAP makes more sense then POP, I have never been a big fan of POP and I am not to familar with IMAP.

The reason I mentioned VPN, is because if a user is not connected to the LAN where my Exchange server resides, they cannot access there email (RPC over HTTPS is not setup) so they are required to make a VPN connection to access email.

Isn't the inetinfo.exe process part of IIS?

Thank you for the info so far!

Comment

Originally posted by brcmadmin View Post
                I already created an account in AD for this user, along with an email box. I was just saying she will be outside the domain because she works from home. I see how IMAP makes more sense then POP, I have never been a big fan of POP and I am not to familar with IMAP.

The reason I mentioned VPN, is because if a user is not connected to the LAN where my Exchange server resides, they cannot access there email (RPC over HTTPS is not setup) so they are required to make a VPN connection to access email.

Isn't the inetinfo.exe process part of IIS?

Thank you for the info so far!
                The VPN is not neccesary. Port 25 is already open. Thus your exchange is recieving and sending mail on that port. If you cant open 143 (IMAP) or 110 (POP3) on your firewall because of redtape/cooperate reasons then yes a VPN is the only solution. But even then the neccersary ports will need to be opened for that presuming they arent already.

A VPN is a simpler solution than remote procedure calls over port 80. This can be relatively complex to set up for someone that has never had experience with that before and depending on your exchange configuration.

And yes Inetinfo is part of the IIS process. A number of services run under IIS. For all intents and purposes though exchange is just a glorified web server which has extended the features drastically of IIS. The 2 work in cohesion and are entirely dependant on each other.

Comment

Will the outside consultant need to send mail from his account in your domain?

If not there is a much more elegant solution. Create a contact for him in AD with his own external SMTP e-mail address, on his user account in your AD on the Exchange General tab/Delivery Options forward all incoming mail to the contact previously created. You can choose whether to retain a copy of all mail on your server or just simply forward without retaining.

This way all mail sent to <[email protected]> will be immediately forwarded to <[email protected]> and as a bonus he won't consume a CAL (as he never logs in to your server)
                  TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                  http://www.wintra.co.il/
                  sigpic
                  Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                  X