Session to server won't close

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Session to server won't close

well... I'm back after a little ban and with another question.....

SBS 2003 with 2 users both with XP Home Edition. in this case ill call them "PC" & "Notebook" (don't ask why Home Edition. long story)
    they both work with "Office" files (.doc .xls) when PC opens a file on the server, works on it then saves and closes it, notebook afterward can edit the file and save with no problem.
    if notebook opens the file and works on it then closes the file, PC afterward can only open the file but cannot save changes.
    an error pops up saying that the file is already open by another computer and when i check open open sessions on the server i see an open session by notebook even though the file is closed.....
    I made myself a little batch file with
    Code:
    NET SESSION /DELETE /YES
    that works fine but i cant run that file everytime i have a session problem.

Where is the problem?.....

Thanks......

Re: Session to server won't close

well, you ARE using home edition...
    ________
    Find headshop
    Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 19:06.
    Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

To expand a little on what DYasny posted, XP Home was not designed to work on a domain so the problem may lay with the limitations of XP Home.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Well.... like i wrote.. they both have Home Edition but the wierd thing is that "pc" has Home Edition and the session closes after closing the file......

Comment

Sometimes AV can keep files open, could you try disabling it on server/client for a test?
          Maybe other things on the PC too if you think thry could be relevant.
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

When the file is opened a temporary file should be created in the directory where the file is located. When notebook opens and then closes the file is the temporary file deleted? If not, that may be the problem. Does the notebook user have NTFS permissions to delete files in that folder?

Comment

Originally posted by bigt0 View Post
              well... I'm back after a little ban and with another question.....

SBS 2003 with 2 users both with XP Home Edition. in this case ill call them "PC" & "Notebook" (don't ask why Home Edition. long story)
              they both work with "Office" files (.doc .xls) when PC opens a file on the server, works on it then saves and closes it, notebook afterward can edit the file and save with no problem.
              if notebook opens the file and works on it then closes the file, PC afterward can only open the file but cannot save changes.
              an error pops up saying that the file is already open by another computer and when i check open open sessions on the server i see an open session by notebook even though the file is closed.....
              I made myself a little batch file with
              Code:
              NET SESSION /DELETE /YES
              that works fine but i cant run that file everytime i have a session problem.

Where is the problem?.....

Thanks......
              Save yourself alot of hassle and simply upgrade those PC`s to Professional. Home wasnt designed for networking and has built in restrictions that although allow it to access domain resources is neither effective nor productive and also inhibits nice strange quirks like not caching domain passwords and such like.

Comment

Working...
              X