SMTP server holding messages until reboot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMTP server holding messages until reboot

I have a client whose SBS server is holding some messages. Nothing shows up in the queue or otherwise indicates that there are messages being held. For the most part, it sends/receives without incident. When the SMTP server is restarted, some inbound and outbound messages flood to where they were supposed to go. If it hasn't been restarted for 2 months, there's a good chance that there could be a 57-day old message that finally reaches its destination.

I've recommended a full rebuild for a while to resolve mail server and other issues on the network, but of course that's the most expensive fix. I told him I could schedule his SMTP server to restart periodically to give him a passable solution. He wasn't fond of the workaround idea though.

Any thoughts on a different possible fix? I didn't set up the server and its current setup is more of what I would call a non-conventional setup, where he has no router and SBS server is wide open to the internet. This has created several other problems on the network, but it's functional for the most part.

Re: SMTP server holding messages until reboot

Have you tried rebuilding the SMTP Virtual Server? I assume you have applied Service Pack 2 also!
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Service packs are up to date. SMTP service rebuild didn't help. I ended up just using Task Scheduler to schedule a restart of the SMTP service once a day. Not pretty, but functional. It should get them by until they upgrade server hardware and/or SBS 2008 comes out and they decide to upgrade.

I was hoping that someone else here had seen something like this and knew of a fix or something that might be retaining messages.

Comment

I had a similar issue with a client using SBS. I believe theres a MS hotfix for this and its related to the greylisting bug in SBS. Below is a registry fix to apply the glitch retry interval.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../aa998772.aspx

Have a look at the following KB it describes the issue in some depth.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934709

Comment

Not sure if that works, but see the note in the article:

Note This article does not apply to Windows 2003 servers that are running Exchange 2000 or Exchange 2003. This article applies only to Windows Servers that are running the SMTP Service without Exchange 2000 or Exchange 2003.
          Taken from the KB linked.
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
            Not sure if that works, but see the note in the article:

Taken from the KB linked.
            Didnt notice that part. In other words according to MS it only affects the front end exchange presuming your using a front end back end topology. Interesting as that wasnt the case for my client..

Comment

Working...
            X